The 10 Most Underrated Friends Episodes

The 10 Most Underrated Friends Episodes

The "Ones" that got away

11018
The 10 Most Underrated Friends Episodes
Turner Broadcasting System

Season 1 Episode 4: “The One with George Stephanopoulos”

Best line: “Who’s FICA? Why’s he getting all my money?”

Synopsis: When Ross is hit with a puck at the Rangers’ game, he, Joey and Chandler spend the night in the emergency room. Meanwhile, Rachel, Monica and Phoebe enjoy a night in complaining about their lives – until they’re accidentally delivered George Stephanopoulos’ pizza.

Why it's good: Although this episode is very early on in the show's run, it does a great job of defining the characters and fostering relatable moments of what it's like to be young and trying to figure it all out.

Season 2 Episode 22: “The One with the Two Parties”

Best line: “Sorry. We’re on a major flan high.”

Synopsis: In the wake of Rachel’s parents’ recent divorce, her friends are forced to throw her two separate surprise parties – right next door to each other.

Why it's good: Watching as the gang fumbles to keep Rachel's mom and dad from seeing one another is both hilarious and suspenseful. There's also a good balance of comedy and drama in terms of Rachel grappling with her parents' recent split.

Season 3 Episode 18: “The One with the Hypnosis Tape”

Best line: “Oh no, I’m fine with age thing. You know, until it starts sticking its tongue down my littler brother’s throat.”

Synopsis: Phoebe is concerned when her younger brother Frank Jr. tells her he’s engaged to his Home Economics teacher. Monica goes on a date with a billionaire. Chandler listens to a hypnosis tape that helps him quit smoking, but also inspires feminine mannerisms.

Why it's good: Making Phoebe's storyline with her brother central in this episode helps humanize her, especially because she's oftentimes dismissed as quirky background noise. Chandler's ongoing bits acting "feminine" are an added bonus.

Season 4 Episode 2: “The One with the Cat”

Best line: “Apparently, Phoebe’s mother also goes by the name Julio.”

Synopsis: Joey is tricked into locking himself in his and Chandler’s entertainment center while trying to sell it. Monica goes on a date with an old classmate. Phoebe is convinced that a cat that crawled into her guitar case is the reincarnation of her mother.

Why it's good: The differences between Phoebe's idealism and Ross' practicality are highlighted (similar to their debate about evolution in season 2 episode 3). This episode is also key to Monica's character growth when she finally goes on a date with the most popular boy from her high school and realizes that she wasn't missing much.

Season 5 Episode 2: “The One with All the Kissing”

Best line: “I’ve had a very long, hard day.”

Synopsis: Rachel gives Monica control over her romantic decisions, but the two disagree when Rachel wants to confess her love to Ross. Chandler has to kiss his friends goodbye in order to keep his and Monica’s relationship a secret. Phoebe feels left out of the gang’s inside jokes from London.

Why it's good: The period of the show in which Chandler and Monica hide their relationship from their friends fostered a lot of comedic moments, such as the kissing in this episode. Rachel shows a lot of maturity by the end when she finally restores control over her love life and makes her own decisions.

Season 6 Episode 8: “The One with Ross’s Teeth”

Best line: “Oh, are you setting Ross up with someone? Does she have a wedding dress?”

Synopsis: Phoebe visits Rachel at work and thinks that she made out with Ralph Lauren in the copy room. Meanwhile, Rachel’s boss thinks that Rachel is the one who kissed Ralph Lauren. Joey confronts his new roommate Jeanine about her “girly” décor. Ross whitens his teeth for an upcoming date before learning that they glow in the dark.

Why it's good: Joey getting in touch with his feminine side is a funny and refreshing change from his usual macho behavior. The scenes in the elevator with Rachel and her boss are exemplary situational comedy.

Season 7 Episode 5: “The One with the Engagement Picture”

Best line: “He is [married], but he’s getting divorced. Ross, maybe you know him.”

Synopsis: Chandler and Monica attempt to take a nice photo for their engagement announcement despite Chandler’s inability to take a good picture. Rachel is jealous when Joey takes her assistant Tag out for drinks and introduces him to a bunch of women. Ross and Phoebe each date one half of a divorced couple.

Why it's good: Chandler and Monica's photoshoot is painful but hilarious to watch. Ross and Phoebe fighting a divorced couple's fight is extremely entertaining.

Season 8 Episode 13: “The One Where Chandler Takes a Bath”

Best line: “If it’s a girl: Phoebe. And if it’s a boy: Phoebo.”

Synopsis: Ross and Rachel argue over finding out the sex of their baby. Monica helps Chandler relax by taking baths. Joey struggles with his looming feelings for Rachel, while Phoebe is misled to believe that Joey has feelings for her.

Why it's good: Although humorous on the surface, Ross and Rachel's debate over baby names and learning the sex of their child ends with a heartwarming surprise. Beginning and ending the episode with Joey's internal monologues helps bring it full circle.

Season 9 Episode 18: “The One with the Lottery”

Best line: “Hello. This is the pigeon from the balcony calling to apologize.”

Synopsis: The gang decides to make a joint investment in lottery tickets, but things go awry when greed gets in the way.

Why it's good: Every so often the show created an episode that did a great job of displaying each of the characters' personalities and goals – this was one of those episodes.

Season 10 Episode 2: “The One Where Ross is Fine”

Best line: “The only thing weird would be if someone didn’t like Mexican food because I’m making fajitas!”

Synopsis: Ross tires to deal with the fact that Rachel and Joey are dating by inviting them over for a catastrophic dinner with his girlfriend Charlie. Struggling with the adoption process, Chandler and Monica go over to a couple’s house, where Chandler accidentally tells their son that he’s adopted. Phoebe’s younger brother Frank Jr. tries to convince her to take one of his triplets and raise it as her own.

Why it's good:The disastrous dinner party at Ross's apartment will make you laugh out loud. Chandler accidentally spilling the beans is just one of the many complications that arise in Monica and Chandler's adoption process.