10 Types Of Roommates You'll Find In College

Strap yourselves in for a game of roommate roulette.

265
Kate Brady

Ah, roommates. Depending on your luck, they can be the best or worst part of your college experience. Unless you know someone you can snag a room with at the beginning of the year, you'll probably be paired up by whatever compatibility test your school has. And if you've seen any comedy or sitcom about college students, no doubt you're a little wary about who you might have to live with.

As I'm rounding off the halfway point of my last college semester ever, I find myself thinking back on the roommates I've had these three lovely years-- and on the roommate horror stories I've heard from my friends. So, for anyone who'll be starting college by next fall, here's ten types of roommates you might come across while you're chasing down your degree. If you're still in college, you probably know some of these all too well.

1. The Stranger

If I had to give this type of roommate a moral alignment, they'd probably fall somewhere around "neutral good." These are the roommates who you don't really interact with all that much-- they have their side of the room, and you have yours. You may exchange casual greetings with them whenever you come home, but you probably don't even know enough about them to guess their favorite color. Maybe they're the type that's barely home at all, which could either be good or bad, depending on how much you like having a room to yourself. Stranger roommates don't tend to cause problems, but don't expect them to be the best company.

2. The Thief

Lock up your belongings if you've got a roommate like this. Whether it be food, printer paper, or a toothbrush, nothing is safe around a thief roommate. I imagine these people assume that anything in your dorm or apartment is also theirs, considering that they share the space with you. And you can bet they won't ask for permission to use and/or eat your stuff. Be vigilant at all times-- you never know when they'll strike.

3. The Noise Box

These are the kinds of roommates who just don't know how to be quiet. Ever. They might always have the TV on or their music blasting. Maybe they just like to sing and never stop, even when you're both supposed to be studying. Maybe they simply have really noisy habits, like tapping their pencils or eating with their mouth open. Whatever they do to cause a rukus, odds are your noise box roommate has probably never had to live with someone else before, or has simply forgotten that you have ears. Perhaps asking them for a few moments of quiet would help, but there's no guarantees here.

4. The Night Owl

According to night owl roommates, sleep is for the weak-- or for people who actually want to succeed in school. Now, I know plenty of night owls who seem to never sleep and are still top students (and amazing people all around). I'm not talking about people who just happen to be nocturnal. I'm talking about those roommates who like to put on entire concerts or scream at a video game or make ramen at 3 in the morning. You know, the ones who seem to think that if they don't need sleep, no one else does, either. I would suggest investing in ear plugs if you live with an inconsiderate night owl.

5. The Slob

If you have siblings, you probably know this type already. Having a little mess in your room is totally normal-- there's no way a college student can keep everything clean when they've got so many other worries to deal with. Slob roommates, however, don't seem to know when "a little mess" becomes "an unlivable cesspool of sadness." Some like to leave food rotting in the fridge for weeks. Others might throw clothes or trash or tampons on any surface they can. If you live with a slob, your best bet is probably setting up a barrier between your half of the room and theirs. With any luck, their mess won't wander over into your space.

6. The Party Animal

Sure, not all college students fit the Hollywood stereotype, but there are still some who love to party. And they'll make sure you know it, too. If they're not stumbling home in the middle of the night, they're probably crashed on someone's couch somewhere, with no word to you on whether they're even still alive or not. These are also the roommates who will no doubt be hiding alcohol somewhere in your room, so if you can't convince them to get rid of it, at least make sure they won't get you in trouble with your RA.

7. The Open Door

Spending time with friends is one of the greatest parts of being in college, and there's nothing wrong with bringing people home to hang out. Open door roommates, however, seem to forget that other people live in their home, too. It's simply common courtesy to ask your roommates if they don't mind having people over, but not everyone thinks that far ahead. Always have a blanket fort for shelter or escape route ready if you have a roommate like this. You never know when strangers might waltz right into your dorm.

8. The Lover

It's bad enough if you have next door neighbors that are always shaking the walls. It's even worse when your roommate doesn't understand how much PDA is too much. If your roommate has a significant other, or simply likes to get frisky, you had better hope that they'll keep it to themselves, but you won't always be so lucky. Don't be surprised if you end up exiled from your own room while your roommate is "preoccupied."

9. The Star Student

Some people are just studious by nature, and normally, that's a good thing. If you have a roommate who's too deep in their studies, though, you might find yourself corralled in the corner, trapped in your own little bubble of quiet so you don't disturb them. These star students can also blend together with the strangers, since it can be pretty hard to bond with someone if they only focus on their studies. If you want some excitement during your day, you probably won't find it at home with these roommates around.

10. The Best Friend

Of course, not all roommates are bad. In fact, many of them are absolutely wonderful. Odds are you'll probably be casual friends with your roommate, and if you're lucky, you could end up with a new best friend for life. And once you've found that perfect roommate, you're set for the rest of your college career. I've had the same roommates for two years now, and I'm blessed enough to call them some of my closest friends. When you click with your roommate, everything just feels right with the world.

To those of you who'll be assigned new roommates next semester, I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you'll find someone just right for you.