10 Tips That Will Help You Rock Your Interview

Interviews suck.

1075
Unsplash

In college, you begin the lovely journey of interviews. A time where someone or multiple people judge you in a span of a few minutes to see if you are right for the job or position. Interviews suck. Like they are the worst. So I am gonna throw out some tips that might help you.

1. Look Nice

2. Do not overthink it.

I think many people have trouble with this one. I know it is hard to get out of your head and not think about what they might ask or what you are gonna say. There is a difference between being prepared and overthinking. Let it go. Don't worry and roll with the punches.

3. Be prepared for anything.

If you are interviewing at McDonald's know the date the first McDonald's opened and the owner and what kind of pickles they served. OK, I am being facetious. But you get what I mean. Learn about the company or the organization because you never know what they might throw at you.

4. Slip in your knowledge when you can.

Try to use your new found knowledge that you Googled the night before. Even if they don't as you directly, slip it into the conversation. Keep it lowkey but let them know you are prepared and know what you are talking about.

5. Crack a joke

OK, I know a lot of people aren't funny (I am so sorry if you aren't) but try and bear with me here. I tend to make jokes when I am nervous and it usually lightens the mood. Feel out the vibe and if you think its the time just do it. Especially in group interviews.

My most recent group interview had 3 other girls and I swear I could have fallen asleep. Keep in mind the people who are interviewing you have probably been at this for awhile. Stand out. Make a joke that won't hurt you. Unless you aren't funny then you might make it weird.

6. Show your strengths.

When going to an interview people tend to feel like they need to be good at everything. If you are super talented in one field, put your emphasis on that. If you are good at math (lol if you are lucky you) show them those skills. If you are like me and literally aren't talented at anything don't worry, keep reading.

7. Bullshit it

Referring to the point above. Scenario: You go into an interview and they ask you what your strengths are and you have zero. Bullshit it, OK. Tell them that you are a good problem solver and then give an example of how you kept your friend from fighting your other friend because they liked the same guy. That was a joke please don't. But you get my point. I have no talents but let me tell you I can make it look like I do and I am sure you can too.

8. To lie or not to lie? That is the question.

So people tell you to lie on your resumes all the time. I am not sure if I support this. If you put down or tell someone you speak Spanish and all you know is "Hola coma estas?" that is a problem. What happens in the interview when someone actually knows Spanish and you just have to sit there repeating "Me llamo dumbass". I am not going to tell you not to lie, but I am also not going to tell you to. I am telling you to embellish the truth a little bit too show your strengths.

9. SMILE

I am sure you have a lovely smile. Show it off. According to American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, 48% of adults believe smiling is the best first impression. Yeah, I just threw in some statistics so it's getting serious. Just smile. It makes things better.

10. Show your personality

A less cheesy way of saying be yourself. You rock and if you are confident in yourself and your abilities I swear you will do great in an interview. If you are funny, be funny. If you are nice, be nice. If you are super smart, discuss Einstein or something. You get my point. Don't get bogged down on how you feel you should act or be someone you are not. Be yourself because there is only one of you.

God, I sound like my mother SOS.