10 Tips To Help You Conquer Freshman Year

If you're looking to kick ass in your first year, here is your holy grail list.

186

Freshman year. There's a bunch of different emotions probably running through your head - excited, nervous, scared, prepared, unprepared - whatever you're feeling, it's okay! Most likely, there's at least one person in your year who feels the same way. But, if you're looking for a few tips, who better to hear from than someone who just finished freshman year themselves? With that, here are ten things you need to do in order to be successful your first year of college.

1. Utilize the library.

If you're scared of going by yourself, don't be. Lots of people sit by themselves, headphones in, too busy to see who's around. Don't spend all of your time in the library, but don't avoid it. It is such a great resource, and you're more likely to get things done than in your dorm room. And, especially during finals week, you can easily spend multiple hours in the library. Welcome to the college life.

2. Avoid a coffee addiction.

Caffeine is your best friend and worse enemy. Use it as little as possible, because you don't want sleepless nights or an empty wallet.

3. Get involved.

This is anyone's biggest mistake their first year. College isn't just a school - it's a community as well! Go to club fairs and find something you're interested in. Whether it's a dance team, an intramural sports team or Greek life, find something that truly interests you and keep up with it. You'll find you'll make some great friends and do some awesome things for the community.

4. Keep your room clean.

Having a messy room can subconsciously cause stress. So, make your bed and keep your desk organized and you'll be able to focus more on school than the mountain of clothes in the corner of your room.

5. Be 5-15 minutes early to everything.

This is so important, especially now that you're considered an "adult". Being punctual keeps you looking professional and responsible (and it can save you from getting marked down), so go out of your way to be early.

6. Be kind.

College is a whole new atmosphere. When you meet new people, just be nice. It's very easy to make friends out of kindness. And, every connection you make is important - you never know who will turn into a life long friend!

7. Be active.

The freshman fifteen is a real thing. Use the gym when you can and control yourself in the cafeteria and you'll be fine!

8. Be responsible.

Don't go blowing your money on take out or Uber rides. Don't stay up all night. Drink responsibly. Do your homework. Study. Do your laundry. Go to class. It's not hard to be responsible - but no one's perfect. You just have to be smart.

9. Reach out if you need help.

In Seton Hall's case, you have your Peer Advisors, Freshman Mentors, Counseling, RAs, etc. for a reason. Use Freshman Studies if you're struggling, or any other person you feel comfortable with to ask questions. Don't think you're all alone when you're at college, because you're not!

10. Do what is best for you.

If that means transferring, commuting, or changing your major - do it. Put yourself into your best interest because at the end of the day, you have a few years ahead of you investing into your future...it's important you're happy!

No matter what school you go to, as long as you follow these ten tips, you're guaranteed to be successful! Good luck in your studies, you'll be great.