10 Truths Anyone From A Big Family Can Relate To

We love harder than we fight!

18
Vulture

Life is pretty fun when you have a big family. Lots of cousins (aka childhood best friends) and crazy aunts and uncles to match. My mom was the youngest of six and I was the youngest of five so, as you can imagine, the size of my family is well, a little overwhelming. Regardless of how ridiculous my family may be at times, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

1. Family Parties

Big barbecues in the summer and packed houses in the winter. Having family parties is hands down one of my favorite things about being in a big family. I'm all for the slightly 'lame' music and silly banter with my aunts. There's nothing like going to talk with your grandparents after sneaking a beer with your cousin before you chase a four-year-old around the backyard. It's an amazing thing to see such comfortable loving, relationships spanning over multiple generations.

2. Weddings

When someone finds themselves marrying into a big family there are definitely a few things to realize. We'll want every one of our cousins there to see our special day. I don't care where they are, I want them to be a part of the celebration. They saw me grow up that means they deserve to be there just as much as anyone else does. The second thing is that it will get messy; everyone will be giving their opinions even when they aren't wanted just because we all think we're right. It's inevitable; don't try to stop it. Lastly, expect tons of dancing, singing, running around, and of course- drinking.

3. Drunkenness

Speaking of parties and weddings, you'll never forget that one time your uncle got super wasted and fell down the stairs or every time the karaoke machine comes out and all of a sudden you feel like you're in a musical. Every day has potential to be a flash-mob when you're part of a big family. And lets not forget the hierarchy of the older cousins or "the cool aunt" sneaking you booze when you're a teenager just to make sure you know how to handle yourself when you're of legal age.

4. Best Friends

Friends come and go but family is forever. There are times when you wish you could escape from them or maybe you got into a fight that you feel there is no coming back from but guess what, you're stuck. You learn to forgive and learn how helpful it is to not hold grudges because in the end the only one you're hurting is yourself. No need to have awkward passing moments when they could be times full of laughter, making new memories with people you've known for your whole life.

5. Second Moms

Tons of aunts, tons of family friends, tons of older cousins, and tons of other older woman relatives that you probably don't even know exactly how you're related to. Being in a big family means you have a load of second moms to take care of you and give you advice that maybe your not ready to approach your real mom about without running it by someone else first. They will stick up for you, teach you how to love people you're not obligated to love, and be a role model to you.

6. Mad House

If you have a big immediate family you know all too well that there is never a dull moment in the house. Screaming, siblings chasing each other around, stuff everywhere, everyone's friends coming in and out like it's a revolving door and a glimpse of a stressed out parent lurking around are all normal for you. Someone is always eating your favorite foods that you tried to hide from the world or taking the shirt that you just bought. There probably aren't any spoons clean when you go to get one, and speaking of dishes, they're definitely scattered in every room of the house. Getting together for dinner means you need an extra long table and your mom probably gave up using serving dishes- huge pots on the table with huge spoons and huge appetites to match.

7. Fighting

The harder you love, the more you fight. All siblings fight but until you're involved in a four person brawl you can't talk. Screaming, punching, kicking, scratching, shoving, holes in the walls, and all other similar adjectives that you could imagine go on when you're throwing down with your brothers and sisters. You'll probably look like you just got thrown out of a pop punk mosh pit by the end of it but that's okay because it will just teach you how to be tough. You're lucky if you're getting it handed to you and one of your parents intervenes. It's probably one of the times that you want them to butt into your life. Besides all the physical damage that siblings inflict on each other, let's not overlook the emotional abuse and bullying some people face from their older siblings. Sometimes I think screaming matches can be worse- siblings always know exactly where it's going to hurt and they don't hold back.

8. Laundry Wars

Laundry day? You mean my personal worst nightmare. The battle commences as soon as someone takes your wet clothes out of the washing machine and leaves them in a basket for you to find later without even telling you. Laundry wars can last days, even weeks, before someone decides to be the bigger person. The amount of times I have found my clothes on the floor outside the dryer goes to infinity and beyond. Don't be that person- just tell them you have to do laundry. And don't be the person who leaves their stuff in the dryer for a week.

9. Lack of Privacy

What is knocking? What are personal boundaries? What is owning something? What's mine is yours and what's yours is mine, right? Including some things that should really only be yours including socks, money, razors, clothes, and personal belongings. If you have a big family you know that no privacy and stealing other people's things are very common.

10. Love

No matter what, growing up in a big family means that you know how to love and be loved. My favorite part of being in a big family is when we all come together after a hard time or family wide fight. There is no better feeling than being surrounded by people who truly care about you and your well being. You know you always have someone to call when you're in a pinch and to get advice from whether you asked for it or not. You know that no matter where you are in the line up of the family that you wouldn't want it any other way.