10 Things You Can Do To Spend Quality Time With Yourself This Summer

It’s easy to forget to take time to ourselves, or forget how to take time to ourselves. Summer is the perfect time to remind ourselves to slow down and appreciate being our own company!

2658
Huffington Post

Throughout the academic year, we college students are constantly being bombarded with meetings, social events, classes, and work study. In the chaos of the 57 responsibilities we have at any given moment, it’s easy to forget to take time to ourselves, or forget how to take time to ourselves. Summer is the perfect time to remind ourselves to slow down and appreciate being our own company! Here are ten things you can do this summer to spend quality time with yourself:

1. Be a tourist in your own city.

It sounds silly, but do it! Check out the tourist center or website for your city or town, grab a camera, and set out on a day full of museums, parks, and local eats.

2. Bring a good book to a local cafe.

Pick a book off of that summer reading list you’ve been making, or get a suggestion from a friend. Find a coffee shop with a good vibe, and get lost in a great book and great cup of coffee!

3. Pack yourself a picnic, find a park, and stay for the day.

One of my favorite things to do is unplug and enjoy nature. Fill a picnic basket with your favorite foods, pick a place with a nice view, and turn your phone off for a few hours. Appreciate what is in front of you rather than what’s on a screen.

4. Take a class or try out a new hobby.

From yoga, to Zumba, to painting, to kick boxing, pick something that catches your attention. Don’t wait for a friend to be interested, go try it out yourself! It’s a great opportunity to meet new people, too.

5. Grab a blanket and find an outdoor movie.

Finding an outdoor movie isn’t as hard as you would think! Local theaters, bars, and cafes with outdoor space will often set up a screen and host a movie night! If you’re nervous about doing things on your own, a movie is a great place to start. Everyone is watching the film, so it doesn’t matter if you don’t come with anyone to talk to.

6. Go shopping for a new summer wardrobe.

When you’re shopping on your own, you don’t have to worry about what stores anyone else wants to go to. Take your time, window shop, try on crazy accessories, and maybe go home with a new outfit or two!

7. Stargaze.

Go someplace without light pollution and get ready to be amazed… you might even see a shooting star or two!

8. Make yourself a fancy dinner for one.

The best thing about cooking for one is that you can make exactly what you want, and keep the leftovers! There’s nothing better than a fancy meal in sweatpants when no one else is around.

9. Enjoy an outdoor concert.

Outdoor concerts are also usually pretty easy to find. This is a perfect opportunity to check out a new band or genre, and you can stay as long or as little as you want.

10. Do what makes YOU happy!

The most important thing about spending quality time with yourself is being happy. So often we do things for others, which is also very important. But take advantage of me-time and use it to do whatever it is you want to do most in that moment. After all, summer is going to fly and we’ll have 57 more commitments on our plates before we know it.

Happy summer everyone!!!