10 Things To Be True When You Go To A Small School

"Yes I can walk to all of my classes, and no my school does not have a football team"

29
Unamuno

If you go to a small school I think you can agree with me that while reunions with your high school friends are fun, it can get pretty old when all they talk about is their sorority or frat, their football team, and how they have probably skipped a ton of lectures (casually of course). And you are standing here thinking "wow getting a date to a mixer sounds stressful" and "I kinda miss going to a football game (sigh)", and "must be nice to skip lectures without getting penalized 10% off your grade!"

Small schools compared to large, state schools are two completely different species that are made up of completely different animals. Like I really do not know how it is to be having grand parties on rooftop pools every week like at University of Arizona, or be casually partying alongside Miley Cyrus at University of Southern California when she was dating Patrick Schwarzenegger or better yet even going to school with Patrick Schwarzenegger. So you wonder what do small school folks live through that could possibly compare to that?

1. Waking up 5 minutes before class and still making it to class on time.

This is one of the most glorious perks of going to a small school. It is honestly so incredibly satisfying that I can milk the most out of my mid-day nap, wake up 5 minutes before class starts, and walk out of my dorm hall and have the science building be one building over.

2. You are sorta popular whether you like it or not.

This can be a pro or con, depending on your social comfortability. You are always guaranteed at least one "hey!" on your walk to class during passing period, I think that's nice. Or you are having a bad hair day and don't want anyone to notice you but of course on that day everybody will say hi to you.

3. Rumors spread before you even know there was a rumor about you.

Yeah.. don't even try to quietly discuss your drama with your roommate when your dorm room walls are as thin as paper. Or if you want people to think you have a boyfriend, try walking around campus with the same boy for a week!

4. Choices are limited...

For boys, I do mean the "babe pool" and vice versa for girls. Many relationships form in college and for those lucky couples, I guess they don't have to worry about this! For everybody else, you already know what I mean when you hear rumors of possible... transfers?! A fight to the death between two people just so one of them can have the new "bae" is probably one of the more exciting drama's we have to offer at a small school.

5. Having about 10-20 classmates max.

Many people choose to go to a small school because of the small class sizes. Whether you like it or not, you are going to become nice and acquainted with your classmates. I personally like it because study groups are easy to form, you are more likely to pay attention in class, and the annoying attendance policy definitely somewhat forces you to show up.

6. The people in your major will become your second family.

While small schools have just as many majors and programs as large schools, the amount of students in each program is much more intimate. Whether you are a nursing student or business major, you will most likely have all of your classes with the same people for all 4 years of college. It's nice to have a separate support group that goes through and feels the same pain as you do.

7. Parties get old, real quick.

Going out to the house parties your freshman year was fun, exhilarating, and it's all a part of a crazy learning experience. And then junior year comes around and it is still the same houses throwing the same parties!! If you couldn't pick up on my sarcasm then I'm telling you now that no I was not being genuinely enthusiastic about that. Parties get real boring, real fast and you'll learn to find a different weekend past time with your friends.

8. Your memories will be more than just "party" stories.

If there is anything remotely cool about going to a small school, it would be that I have made some of the best memories and gone on the coolest adventures because I go to a small school. Usually, small schools are built in the middle of beautiful cities or towns that are made to be explored on the weekends. I honestly would take piling my friends into a car and discovering vintage diners, trendy bars, hipster coffee shops, and unique boutiques rather than figuring out where I want to party on Greek row this week.

9. You learn from drama.

As I mentioned, you eventually become aware and know that whatever you decide to do or say, you can assume that people will found out anyways. You become more careful and thoughtful of your words and actions and conscious of your life choices as you should be. Besides, having the whole school know who you hook up with every week is kinda annoying so might as well drop that habit anyways right?

10. You are comfortable.

Sometimes your small school may be too small for comfort but overall it's not awful. It is comfortable being surrounded by people you know, by a campus you can navigate, and by professors who actually offer to help you. A sense of familiarity is always somewhat comforting no matter who or where you are.

As you noticed, there are perks and discomforts of going to a small school but I wouldn't trade it for a different experience. If you wanted to know the one thing I like the most about small schools, it would be the fact that I am relevant. At a small school, you are recognized, you have a face, a name, and a reputation that you have built for yourself and it is known. You are not some random student out of 300 students in a lecture hall at a state school but a friend or a friendly face people see and notice every day. I promise that close and tight-knit communities are pretty cool if you make the best out of it.