10 Things To Do In Duluth, Minn. In The Summer

Why stay inside when the beautiful city of Duluth has so much to offer?

73
Destination 360

It is common knowledge that Duluth, Minnesota is one thing — cold. When the word "Duluth" is brought up in any kind of dialogue, the next thing that follows is "isn't it always cold there?" Or "it's freezing there because it is so close to Canada!" Yes, Duluth packs a punch with their cold and harsh winters. But, if you wait out the tirade of blustery snow, black ice covered hills and brutally cold wind, Duluth is a delightful place to spend your summer or to plan a fun summer vacation.

1. Bayfront Festival Park

What is better than music next to a scenic shore of a lake? Nothing. Offering a multitude of events, the Bayfront Festival Park brings numerous local, regional and even national acts to one place, bringing people together for one reason—the enjoyment of good music surrounded by great camaraderie.

2. Enger Park Golf Course

Consider yourself the next Tiger Woods? How about Jordan Spieth? If you are in Duluth for the summer and are looking forward to having some "tee time," one of the first places to go should be Enger Park Golf Course. This golf course offers three championship nines, endless hills and a scenic and relaxing environment. It offers a great environment to a novice golfer or a seasoned professional.

3. Duluth Lakewalk

Definitely one of the more iconic images that comes to mind when someone thinks of Duluth, the Lakewalk offers the perfect environment for a leisurely stroll, a nicely paved trail for runners, bikers and roller bladers and is only a few short steps away from a cool refreshing dip in Lake Superior.

4. The Rose Garden at Leif Erikson Park

The smell of roses, flowers in bloom, happy faces all around you—sounds like the ideal way to spend a stroll in summer. The Rose Garden is home to more than 3,000 rose bushes and other floral arrangements—making it the perfect photo-op for a day in the sun.

5. Aerial Lift Bridge

It's night. You are on a drive with your friends. You are listening to the radio, enjoying the freedom that summer brings, but you are looking for something to see. The Aerial Lift Bridge is the first thing that should come to mind. It is often said that this attraction is Duluth's No. 1 attraction (however, that is up for debate), and it is understandable why some people think that,it is in every iconic picture of the town. It is embedded within the culture — a lifeline of the city.

6. Canal Park

There are places in a town, things located in the heart of the city, that make a place iconic. That make a place synonymous with one specific area of that city. When you talk about the "heart of the city" in Duluth, one word comes to mind: Canal. Canal Park has a multitude of things to do: shopping, eating, strolling, catching up with friends — name it and you can do it in Canal.

7. Park Point

Want the beach only a few minutes away? Just a short drive over the Lift Bridge will get you to Park Point, a small "beach" that is a hot spot on hot summer days when all that is needed is a quick dip in the icy waters of Lake Superior.

8. Edgewater Waterpark

If you have kids, nanny or babysit, and are looking for a fun waterpark for the kids to run and play, Edgewater is directly up your alley. It has all the traditional components of an outdoor waters park plus a hotel. So, if you are looking for a waterpark and a place to stay overnight in a beautiful city — Edgewater should be the first on your list.

9. Enger Park and Tower

If you are looking for some spectacular views to take remarkable photos, Enger Tower has all of that and more. Enger Tower provides views that are simply breathtaking, making any summer night spent climbing to the top utterly breathtaking.

10. Grandma's Marathon

While 13.1 or 26.2 miles sounds like torture to some people, there are those select few that find the extreme mileage enjoyable and exhilarating. For those people, Grandma's Marathon is the race for you. It is a scenic road race that begins in Two Harbors, Minnesota and finishes in Duluth. While the mileage of the race might be long and tiring, the views this course has to offer are sure to make the time pass by quickly.