10 Things People Using Wheelchairs Want You To Know

--But wouldn't say out loud.

232
Rachel Rhea

It's no secret that being in a wheelchair isn't easy. Whether one is wheelchair-bound or just needs help to get around, there are struggles that come inevitably with the wheelchair life. As a university student with a disability, I encounter several of these dilemmas on a regular basis. While the disabilities community is often applauded for "never complaining," there are some things we wish that pedestrians would keep in mind.

1. We're not contagious.

It sounds so simple, I know. But unfortunately, this has to be established. Most people using wheelchairs do so because of genetic diseases, birth defects, and in some cases tragic accidents. You're not doomed if I cough on you, I promise. Don't avoid us like the plague, because that's not what's going on here.

2. We aren't going to run over you.

At least not on purpose. Crowds are tricky, but we're not targeting toddlers and strollers for 10 points each.

Do: be polite and clear a path, extend grace if we catch your toes. Don't: avoid walking closely to us (if we're friends,) pull away any children within a five foot radius as though we're unpredictable wildlife, scream when we get anywhere near you, wince when we pass by, or yell profanity at us. Road rage isn't good for anyone, and chances are we're experienced wheelchair drivers.

3. If you're able, take the stairs.

If it's three floors or less, take the stairs. I promise that elevator is not as fascinating as you think. It doesn't even go that fast, and chances are it smells funny.

4. About the bathrooms--

The big bathroom stall is not for luxury. It is not a personal dressing room; it really is just a bathroom with more empty space for getting in and out. There's no secrets hiding back there. "But I like the big one" is not a reason to use the handicap stall. On the other hand, we will not jump on an able-bodied person the minute we see them leave that stall. Firstly, because we can't jump. But also because we try not to make any assumptions.

5. Hold that door!

After a while, you get used to having doors shut in your face, quite literally. Some of us have ways of getting doors open on our own, but we don't like to use them because they often involve strategy, balance and bodily contortion that are just plain exhausting. Especially if we're carrying a load of textbooks or a hot cup of coffee. If you take a few seconds to look behind you and hold open that door, you're saving us anywhere from two to 10 minutes of time that would otherwise be spent fighting the laws of physics. And for that, we thank you.

6. Hey, nice butt.

Consider our given eye level. With that kind of view, it's impossible not to notice what you might have going on back there. We understand, we just request that you consider investing in a belt. Although sometimes the view ain't bad, I'm most likely not checking you out. I'm just trying to avoid any sort of collision.

7. Get off of your phone.

I wish I had a dollar for every near head-on collision I've had with text-and-walkers. And 5 dollars for every collision where someone's ended up on top of me. Look up. Please.

8. Look behind you.

If you're standing in front of someone in a wheelchair at a concert, museum, what have you, they most likely can't see whatever is onstage or on display. While many places have wheelchair seating nowadays, the truth is that a lot of venues don't go through the trouble to mark areas off, and even then designated areas can be in really awkward spots. I personally have learned to be satisfied with only seeing half of the stage at times, but the truth is even though it can be intimidating to ask, we would like folks to take the time to give at least a small "window" for us to see what we most likely paid for.

9. Yes, we might need your help.

The world is not made for people in wheelchairs. Shelves are high, curbs are everywhere, doorways are narrow and sometimes life can just be one big puzzle. So if you see someone struggling, it is okay to ask if we need help. Stay tuned for what is not okay.

10. We don't need your pity

While we might need your help, we certainly do not need your pity. Be courteous, but don't feel bad for us. We love our lives just as much as the next person.