10 Things I Learned From My First Semester at College

You do more learning that just the learning you do in class

3
The Odyssey

You finally graduate high school, and it's the summer before your first semester at college. You finally get to school, begin your first semester, and realize that college isn't all fun and games.

1. Coffee Is Key.

You go to college not liking coffee? Well, you learn to like it real fast. That one cup of coffee could be the one thing keeping you up and helping you finish that paper you have due the next day, that you waited to start until the last minute. Then the next morning? That next cup of coffee could be getting you through that rough early morning class that you had to go to even though you just spent the whole night writing your paper.

2. Money Doesn't Grow On Trees.

You see all the funny memes and pictures depicting broke college students and you laugh. Well, you aren't laughing anymore once you actually are one of those students. Throughout the semester, you watch your bank account balance go down rather quickly. In fact, more quickly than you would like. You can't keep asking mom and dad for money.

3.Being Sick Sucks...A Lot.

Growing up, we all had our moms around to take care of us while we were sick. You never realize how much you want your mom there taking care of you until you get sick for the first time in college.

4. Naps Are A Necessity.

You learn to make naps one of your best friends. Even if you haven't taken naps since you were in kindergarten, you will most definitely start again once you get to college.

5. It's Okay To Ask For Help.

You start to see yourself getting behind. You study the material but you just can't seem to grasp the concept no matter how hard you try. Go to your professor's office hours. I mean that's what they have office hours for, right? Your profs want you to succeed, and chances are they would do everything they could to help you succeed in their class.

6. Get Involved.

Get involved. Why? Because it is a great way to meet new people. Whether it's a club, a sport, or a sorority or fraternity, chances are you'll meet some really cool people.

7. Mom's Cooking Is One Of Your Favorite Parts of Going Home.

Mom's cooking never tasted so great. You get to school and are forced to eat dining hall food for weeks at a time, and you come home for the first time and all you want is a home cooked meal.

8. Work Piles Up Quickly If You Don't Prioritize.

The school week comes to an end, and it's the weekend. You have plans to go out and hang with your friends. All of a sudden it's Sunday afternoon and you still have all your work left to do. You try to get as much of it done as you can, but you don't finish it all and you're already starting the week out playing catchup.

9. High School Finals Week Doesn't Compare to College Finals Week.

Remember when you complained about studying for finals in high school? Re-think that. High school finals don't have anything on college finals. All of a sudden you're pulling all nighters every night, while in high school you would study for a few hours and still be in bed by 10. The stress of college finals week is real, and is it even finals week without a breakdown or two?

10. College Flies By.

It seems like just yesterday that you were packing your car to leave for your first semester at college. The first semester is finally over, yet it seems that it just started. Get ready for the next 3 1/2 years of your college career to fly by too.