10 Things You Should Know Before Majoring In Music

1. There's always someone dorkier than you.

64
Wagner Biro

Music is my life, it's been my life for as long as I can remember. I found my best friends in the music department, it's where I found my people. Joining orchestra in middle school was the best decision I ever made. I wouldn't be where I am today without music.

As a music major I've definitely learned my fair share of lessons. So, I wrote this list to share them will all you music nerds. If you're thinking about majoring in music and don't know what to expect then this list will be perfect for you.

This statement is coming from a girl who will hit empty plastic bottles against different objects until I figure out the pitch. I've met people with Mozart socks, hours and hours of operas in their iTunes, and so much more. Yes, they're dorks, but so are most of the kids in the music department. Don't let anyone ever make you feel weird for loving something.

2. No one will understand you more than fellow music students.

This goes side by side with #1. There's a specific personality that comes with being a music student. I somehow always end up gravitating towards people who are/were music students, even if I had no clue. It's hard to explain why we all understand each other so well, but one thing's for sure, they'll become your people.

3. You learn how to deal with disappointment.

A big party of music is auditions, seating auditions, ensemble auditions, musical auditions, it's like it never ends. There were plenty of things I wanted more than anything that I didn't get. I would cry for a few hours but eventually, I'd have to get up and try again.

I couldn't let my disappointment keep me from achieving in the future, I had to let it push me to become more. Eventually, my disappointment would lead to amazing achievements.

4. Some people are more naturally gifted than others.

There are kids who can just pick up an instrument and just suddenly be amazing. I personally was not one of those kids, if I wanted something I would have to practice for hours. I always felt like I was one step behind my peers. It was hard for me to understand why some people were so good without barely even practicing. It's just another one of those things that push you to work harder.

5. Band, chorus, and orchestra are all very different places.

Believe me when I say that these 3 music departments are very different. They were all special in their own way but they just attracted different kinds of people. As someone who spent time in all 3 departments, I quickly learned that there were some personality differences between the 3 groups.

Band kids are geeky and have no problem leaving their instrument spit on the ground (that they insist is condensation but we all know the truth), orchestra kids are dorky and think self-deprecating jokes about how terrible they sound is the best thing ever, and chorus kids are nerdy people who will scream any musical song any time they have a chance. Though we are all different we are all still one music department who support one another and come together to make music.

6. Your music director will be your parent, friend, and sometimes enemy.

I look up to every single one of my music directors. I don't think I could ever express how grateful I am for all the love, kindness, opportunities, and advice they gave to me. They helped me discover my love of music and shaped me into the musician I am today.

But with that being said there were times when they made me cry, want to quit, and really told me things that I didn't want to hear (even though I needed to hear it.) They didn't pity me when I didn't get what I wanted, they would tell me to suck it up, practice more next time, and try again. I am strong because they made me be.

7. Teamwork is essential.

You have to be able to put the rivalry aside once seating has been decided. Sometimes it was hard for me to be happy if I didn't get the seat I had hoped for, and that would always show in my performances.

Once I realized that someone always has to be first and someone always has to be last, it became easier to be happy after auditions. You're there to make music not to show off, everyone has to work together as a team, no matter if your 1st chair, 7th chair, or last chair, everyone is important in the band/choir/orchestra.

8. There will always be someone better than you.

Don't go into music if your goal is to just be "the best there ever was." I promise there will always be someone better than you, maybe it's a 7-year-old virtuoso, or maybe it's a 90-year-old who's been practicing their entire life. Also, don't forget that you'll always be better than someone else. Remind yourself where you started out, constantly take videos, it will keep you motivated.

9. It's very easy to let the music be played out of you.

Do not, and I repeat, do not overwork yourself. It is very easy to burn out, I've seen it happen before and there are plenty of times that it has almost happened to me. Learn to pace yourself. Practice frequently and diligently, but not enough to make you hate what you do. If it begins to get to that point stop and remind yourself why you fell in love with music in the first place.

10. Being in a music department is an amazing experience.

I don't know where I would be today if it wasn't for my music departments, the people I met, the things I learned, the passion I discovered. It was all something I don't think I could live without. I owe my life to music, and someday I hope when I have my own music department I can pass these feelings and lessons down to a new generation of music majors.