10 Things I Learned As A Cancer Survivor

Important life lessons from a leukemia survivor.

171
123rf.com

When I was 15, I was diagnosed with leukemia. I had to start chemo and live in the hospital for my first month of treatment. I finished treatment in July of 2013, and through my recovery I learned so many things about myself and the world around me. Today, I'd like to share with you all the ten most important life lessons I learned during my battle with cancer.

1. I have an incredible support system in place.

When you're in the hospital for a month and constantly going in for chemo, you start to realize who will be there for you in your time of need. I had so many family members, friends, mentors, and even my high school's male acapella group come to visit (and serenade) me. Whether they were there for me in terms of a physical presence, or always reaching out to me, by the end of my treatment I knew who was there for me and who would be there for me for life.

2. I learned to be assertive about my needs.

Before I was diagnosed, it took six months for the doctors to even order a blood test for me, regardless of my persistence. After suffering through the symptoms for six months, I told myself I would never just take someone's opinion, especially in regards to my health, if I truly felt something was wrong and they weren't listening. Asserting my needs has been something I've struggled with, but after going through cancer and its symptoms, I've definitely become more aware and determined about asserting what I need.

3. I learned to appreciate the little things in life.

When you're sick and going through chemo, you start to feel like a science experiment as you're constantly being pumped with drugs and radiation treatments. When I finally started to feel a little bit more like a human being again, it was one of the happiest times of my life. I was so grateful just to be able to go outside and little moments like laughing with friends or feeling a breeze on my face became so much more vivid and significant to me. Today, I try to remind myself of that significance whenever I start to lose perspective.

4. I learned to find the humor in every situation.

When I was going through treatment I had a couple of friends who I spent most of my time with and they would always joke that they were going to put me in the oven and "bake the cancer out of me." They used to joke around and tell people I couldn't go outside because I would burn up in the sun like some kind of vampire. It sounds crude, but I was (and still am) so close with those two that I knew it was their way of comforting me, of making light of things. To this day, I try to find something to laugh at in everything, because it truly is the best medicine.

5. I learned to express my gratitude to people frequently.

When you are diagnosed with a life-threatening illness, a lot of things go through your head. You start to think about the people in your life and how much they mean to you. Since going through such a harrowing experience, I make sure to tell the people in my life how much I love and appreciate them, because you never know when you might lose the chance to do so.

6. I learned to go for what I want.

Another thing you think of when you're diagnosed with cancer is the things you've accomplished, your dreams and aspirations and the chances you've taken. Since realizing how quickly the chance to take the opportunities that come at you can be taken away, I've made an effort to go for everything I want, wholeheartedly and I wouldn't want to live any other way.

7. I learned to not sweat the petty stuff.

Going through cancer really gives you perspective, and when you're busy fighting for your health, you don't have time to sweat the little issues in life. Cancer changes your life in a lot of ways, and it's helped me to be more laid back about my stressors. I just like to tell myself: "I've beat cancer, I can definitely do this."

8. I learned to appreciate and listen to my body.

After having doctors tell me for six months that there was nothing really wrong with me before I was diagnosed, I learned to trust my instincts and listen to the needs of my body. If I need to rest, I do it. If I feel like there's something off, I tell the doctor to do something about it. I never doubt myself when it comes to taking care of my body, and I know both my body and mind will thank me for that in the long run.

9. I learned to not laugh at people when they're afraid of needles.

After becoming so used to constant IV's, blood tests, and chemo shots, I've become pretty much desensitized to needles. I'm always the one to tell the phlebotomist where my best veins are, directing the whole process like a pro." Do you need me to make a fist? Want me to pull the skin near the vein? Oh, it was just a pinch I'm fine." Because of this, I constantly have to remind myself that it's not so easy for everyone, and to be sensitive about their phobias. I'm a great friend to take with you to the doctor, though!

10. I learned that I'm a bonafide, badass survivor.

Dude, I beat cancer. I, Layla Rivera, took cancer and kicked its ass. I kicked its ass and I graduated high school with first honors and a wonderful group of friends and family by my side. I am a rockstar and I can do anything. Although cancer was a big part of my life, especially during my adolescence, it does not and never has defined me. There were a lot of tears and there was a lot of pain during my journey, but it did not come without lessons that turned into blessings like these.