10 Things I Wish I Knew Before Entering High School

To: Incoming Freshmen. From: A Senior.

1994

It all goes by faster than you think. It's crazy, realizing that your high school days are almost over. Looking back on the last few years, I wish I could go back in time, grab my own face and scream "OPEN YOUR EYES!!!" There are so many things I wish I would have known before freshman year that could have saved me lots of time, stress, and tears.

1. Stay focused on grades. Seriously. I cannot stress this enough. As a freshman, I was so caught up with wanting to fit in and have a boyfriend that I totally blew off school. As a now senior, I regret it so much. I worked so hard to get my grades back up during sophomore and junior year, but freshman year will always weigh me down. It matters.

2. Friends will come and go. You are not going to leave high school with the same people you started with. I know it's said all the time, but it's true. Your friend group will change, and that's okay. People change, things change, life gets crazy.

3. Some people will never like you. No matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, you will never be liked by everyone. And you don't need to be. Don't let it bother you.

4. Relax. This is not forever. Study, but take some time for yourself. Get comfy and read a book. Go out with your friends. Spend time with your family. You'll miss them. Get sleep. You are 15—enjoy it.

5. Don't stress about what you look like. Take it from me, the girl who has had panic attacks over having "nothing to wear" or a bad hair day. Really, nobody will notice. They're too busy worrying about themselves.

6. Be kind. To everyone. You will be so much happier. It's not "cool" to be mean. Empower one another.

7. Don't be afraid of change. You're in high school. You're constantly growing, you're constantly changing. It's a good thing, let whatever happens, happen.

8. Build relationships with teachers. Some teachers are actually cool. It's mature to have a friendly relationship with the ones you like, and will help you in the long run. You can always go back to them for help and advice, even a college recommendation letter.

9. Get involved. If you're athletic, join a sports team. If you aren't, join a club you think you'd be interested in. It's a great way to meet new people and keep yourself busy. Plus, it looks good for college!

10. These are not the best years of your life. I don't care what anybody says. High school is only 4 awkward years of your life. You are just beginning to find yourself. You have your whole life ahead of you—there is so much more to come.

Stay true to yourself and be your own best friend. You'll survive.

- A 2017 Senior