10 Things All Figure Skaters Are Tired Of Hearing

Avoid these comments next time you talk to a figure skater.

4374

As someone who has been skating since I was 3, I've repeatedly heard similar comments that get on my nerves. Next time you learn someone is a figure skater, avoid these comments.

1. So, are you going to the Olympics?

I think I can speak for all skaters when I say that we all dream of going to the Olympics. Unfortunately, that's not the reality. Only a very select few can make it that far. So please, don't bring it up – it's a bit of a sore subject for us all.

2. Don't you get cold?

Have you ever tried skating around for four minutes straight, jumping and spinning without stopping? No? Try it first and then get back to me. I'm pretty sure you'll be dripping in sweat too.

3. Do you do tricks and twirls? What kind?

No, if we're being honest here, I don't know what a trick or a twirl is. I do, however, do jumps and spins, if that's what you were trying to get at. If I told you I do double Salchows, Lutzes, or mohawks, you wouldn't know what I was talking about – so I'm going to save my breath.

4. Figure skating is not a sport.

This is by far the worst one. If you say this, I can't promise that my following actions won't be violent. It's actually in the top 10 most difficult sports, thank you very much.

5. How do you spin so much without getting dizzy?

We do get dizzy – we're just so good that you can't tell.

6. Your costumes are so cute!

Yes, our dresses are "cute." But they also probably cost the equivalent of a semester of your college tuition.

7. You're cold? But you're a figure skater!

Yes, I'm a figure skater. But that doesn't mean I'm a cold blooded human – I still feel the effects of low temperatures.

8. Are you good?

No one knows how to answer this question, so just don't ask.

9. Does it hurt when you fall?

No, I'm actually a superhuman and don't feel the effects of falling at seven times my body weight on a sheet of ice. If you've ever seen our knees or hips covered in bruises, you wouldn't ask this.

10. Is it hard?

Actually, I find it very easy to throw my body up in the air, spin around three times and then land on a 1/4 inch of steel. All while smiling.

Yes. It's hard. In a conversation with a figure skater, think of a better question to ask.