10 Things Americans Actually Believe

10 Things Americans Actually Believe

North Koreans are not the only crazy nationalists

42
10 Things Americans Actually Believe
Wikipedia

"Authoritarian societies tend to be tyrannical," according to the Youtube channel Top Lists. "In North Korea’s case, this means brainwashing and sheer insanity."

Watch the video here:

While the introduction is suited for the list, an equally-insane list can be made about the people from the United States of America. These are 10 things that Americans actually believe.

10. Marriage equality and sanctity of marriage are separate

In a country split on who can or cannot be married, right-wing and left-wing Americans both believe the government should dictate this institution.

Both are unwittingly redefining marriage, since before the government got involved marriage was between the parties involved. Those in the community may or may not recognize a couple's or a group's marriage, but that was okay.

Forcing a third party violates the sanctity of marriage. Also marriage dictated by the government denies equality to groups deemed deviant. You can't have one without the other.

9. Free college is a way to educate kids better

Some Americans believe the more the government tosses money at a problem, the more it helps. Contrary to that belief, education costs increase for those who are not eligible for such welfare.

Not to mention the fact, subsidies divert funding and regulations increase costs in other areas. This drastic change in operation drives away high-quality professors and replaces them with cheaper, low-quality alternatives.

All of this adds up to devaluing the final product - the undergraduate degree. An associate degree is worth less today in the U.S. than it was a generation ago. Statistics from various sources, including the U.S. government, show many people with bachelor's degrees are unwillingly un- or under-employed.

8. Immigrants steal American jobs

Some Americans believe that jobs are entitled, not earned. They usually argue, when they advocate for closing the border or having tougher restrictions on immigration, jobs are stolen from them by immigrants.

Economically, the reason employers would choose undocumented, or even documented, immigrants over the natural-born or naturalized counterparts because of cheaper labor and stronger work ethics.

Even if the argue could be made that immigrants steal jobs - some common reasons Americans want immigration control is because immigrants are criminal, uneducated, filthy, impoverished, and cannot speak the common language in the U.S., the English language. If someone like that can steal a job, the original worker was not worth much and the best man won.

7. Gun control works

Some Americans believe that gun violence can be solved by confiscating guns from or restricting the sales and possession of guns for peaceful gun owners. All the while allowing violent gun owners to be coercive to law-abiding people.

The well-intentioned Americans think all gun owners will be checked. When, in fact, they do not. In big cities, where gun control has been common for generations, gun violence is commonplace. Mass shootings, for examples, do not happen in gun shops, gun shows, or even shooting ranges. They happen in "gun-free" zones, like malls, stores, theaters, schools, and public buildings.

These Americans tend to be the ones protesting the U.S. drug war. They argue the government is unable to control low-scale supplies that are in demand, and that prohibition thereof increases drug-related violence. They believe that opposing the drug war and supporting gun control makes sense.

6. The United States is an exceptional country

Some people believe that a country is star-spangled awesome simply because they were born there. Americans do this better and more than any other group of people - even when compared to the Romans.

"Proud to be an American" is a phrase as common as "there ought to be a law for that" in the U.S. Given its track record - from legitimizing the institution of human slavery to starting or exacerbating most every war in the world since the 1800s - the only exceptional thing about the U.S. is its indifference to the value of life, liberty, and property.

This myth is so well-known it was lampooned in an HBO show, Newsroom.

Watch the video clip here (warning: expletive language):

5. Taxes are the price for a civilized society

Echoing U.S. Supreme Court justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., an inscription on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) building states "Taxes are what we pay for a civilized society." The IRS is the tax-collecting service of the federal government tasked with taking money from workers and producers.

Arguing in defense of the central government extorting money from the people, the Vermont legislature, in a 1852 committee called for the governor of the state (who was of the Whig party, a precursor of the Republican Party), agreed "Taxation is the price which we pay for civilization, for our social, civil and political institutions, for the security of life and property, and without which, we must resort to the law of force."

To pro-tax Americans, civilized society is built on violence and intimidation. Taxation is not voluntary - some Americans will claim this, namely those who are of a political affiliation claiming to be for lower taxes, but in the same breath want to lead witch hunts for tax evaders.

If society must be forced to be good, it will never be good if by force. Ironically, best-selling books and blockbuster films in American society punishes the characters who carry out their plans by force and fraud, and rewards the characters who do so by peace and persuasion.

Several other government entities throughout the 1800s have made similar arguments as Homes, Vermont, and the IRS - but made clear taxation was a sort of tribute to the central government for protection. Around this time, anti-tax thinkers, such as Lysander Spooner and Josiah Warren, made arguments that protection of life, liberty, and property does not require the violations thereof as central governments offer.

A student of the famous French economist Frederic Bastiat and an anti-tax classical liberal, Gustave de Molinari, wrote an essay, "the Production of Security" and a book Conversations on Economic Laws and Defense of Property about how protecting property can be done in the free market - works by economists Murray Rothbard and David Friedman (mainly Rothbard's For a New Liberty and Friedman's the Machinery of Freedom) expands on that.

4. The United States is a Christian nation

Some Americans labor under the idea that the U.S. was founded as a Christian nation. Despite the fact that one of the more Christian extremist founders, John Adams, as president, with the blessing of the most famous U.S. founder and first U.S. president George Washington, signed the Treaty of Tripoli.

The peace treaty with Arab pirates, written in 1796 and confirmed by the U.S. Senate (full of Christians) in 1797, states in article XI, "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..." President Adams said in a signing statement of the treaty that officers and citizens alike were obligated to the peace treaty - including the fact the U.S. was not founded as a Christian nation.

These Americans ignore presidents Washington and Adams on this. They also ignore the third president and another famous U.S. founder Thomas Jefferson, who wrote to the Danbury Baptists in Connecticut that the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution was "building a wall of separation between Church & State."

It should be noted, Jefferson's words not only echoed the teachings of a co-founder of the first Baptist church and coincidentally one of the first abolitionists in North America Roger Williams, but also reiterated the intent of the first amendment.

The first amendment of the U.S. Constitution states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Jefferson, and most of the founding generation, especially via arguments they made during the ratification conventions, understood this to mean the U.S. government cannot pass laws in favor or against religions.

This is further shown in the last line of the supreme law of the land, founded in article VI as written and ratified by the founding generation, "but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." This proves the fiery opinion that the founders intended only Christians should lead the young country.

Seeing that the U.S. empire is considered throughout the world of the last few generations as one of the most violent kingdoms in the world; has not only fostered human slavery but a war was waged in both defense of it and its lukewarm abolition; and has in many ways violated the Christian Bible's Ten Commandments (from routine theft and murder to daily coveting, and not to mention the state worship that puts government above God), how any American can view their country as a "Christian nation" is odd to any well-versed Christian.

3. Abraham Lincoln was a great emancipator

Speaking of slavery, the sixteenth U.S. president Abraham Lincoln was a white supremacist. Revisionist history tells stories of his triumphant victories over slavery, a lie told over and over until the American public believes it to be true.

Before being elected the first president from the Republican Party, Lincoln was a follower of wild bigots such as the slaveholder and racial separatist Henry Clay. Like his favorite Whig, Lincoln hoped to deport, by force, freed slaves to an African colony of Liberia.

During a U.S. Senate race debate in 1858, Lincoln told opponent Stephen Douglas after saying he completely opposes blacks having freedom to vote, marry whites, or serve as jurors that "there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality."

Junk science aside, he told the public on that September day, in true white supremacist fashion that "while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

During his first inaugural address, Lincoln addressed the racist southern states that "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."

Americans rightfully believe that Lincoln opposed the expansion of slavery. But, in his own words, during an 1857 speech about the Dred Scott decision, "A separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation, but as an immediate separation is impossible, the next best thing is to keep them apart where they are not already together. If white and black people never get together in Kansas, they will never mix blood in Kansas..."

Americans falsely believe that the Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves. In reality, it was an affront to presidential war powers and only "freed" slaves in the south. As Lincoln explained in an 1863 letter to Treasury Secretary Salmon Chase, the proclamation had no "legal justification, except as a military measure." The hope was that the Confederate slaves would rebel against their masters.

He wrote in 1962 to former congressman Lincoln served with and a founder of the Republican Party and one of the country's biggest newspapers at the time Horace Greeley, "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy Slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it..." It should be noted Greeley, like the black abolitionist Frederick Douglass, was initially a supporter of Lincoln but denounced him during the war.

(Fun fact: Greeley was born and raised in New Hampshire, the "Live free or die" state and his time in the U.S. House of representatives was known for his private investigations and for introducing legislation to abolition slavery; while Illinois also produced another major politician with policies that hurt blacks, President Barack Obama, the first half-black U.S. president)

Even if a war had to be fought to end slavery, Lincoln did not have to violate the constitution, including suspending habeas corpus, direct taxation, violating the first amendment on grounds of speech and press, allowing the torture of prisoners of war, forcing states to not secede, to name a few.

Throughout his life, right up until he was assassinated, Lincoln has stated his disgust for blacks and his contempt that they live in white society. Americans don't know what to say when Lincoln, in his own words said, "I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races."

2. John F. Kennedy was an antiwar progressive

Some Americans believe the 35th U.S. president John F. Kennedy was opposed to war and was an economic populist. Despite the facts Kennedy sent more military into Vietnam than even his predecessor, Dwight D. Eisenhower, did; helped assassinate elected president of South Vietnam Ngo Dinh Diem and his brothers (similar to how Eisenhower helped overthrow the elected leader of then-democratic Iran) and install a dictator; invaded Cuba; played chicken with Soviet Russia; supported banks over the people; raised taxes and spending in support for war; and supported policies that would keep blacks dependent on the government.

The famous "secret societies" speech Kennedy gave before the American Newspaper Publishers Association on April 27th, 1961, officially titled "The President and the Press," was not about the Federal Reserve (the Fed), the military-industrial complex, or of a globalist secret society like the Council on Foreign Relations, the Bohemian Club, or the Bilderberg Group. (Side note: a number of people Kennedy appointed were members of such societies)

The speech was about drumming up war propaganda against global communism. The speech indicted communism for its clandestine operations and was given just over a week after the failed, pro-war U.S. invasion of the Bay of Pigs in Cuba, which the U.S. press chided him over. Americans believe Kennedy was anti-establishment this way.

Speaking of conspiracy theories, the executive order 11110 was not an attack on the Fed, like some Americans believe. Nor was it a progressive order. What EO 11110 did was allow the U.S. treasury secretary to issue silver certificates until they were eliminated, in favor of Federal Reserve Notes (barely backed by gold at that time). In fact, Congress (which conspiracy theorists argue is controlled by the Fed, and in reality does not exercise its oversight duties against the central banking system) passed HR 5389 in 1963 in support of Kennedy's big-government monetary policy by super-majority votes.

After being sworn in, the ascended president Lyndon B. Johnson overturned a slew of Kennedy's executive orders. Executive order 11110 was not one of them - and Johnson was viewed, even in the 1960s, to be an establishment politician who was unabashedly pro-Fed. In fact, this order would remain in existence until President Ronald Reagan eliminated it in an effort to streamline the executive branch (the order was obsolete by the 1970s).

As a member of the Naval Reserve in the 1940s, he was enthusiastic to spill Japanese blood. He commanded naval vessels to do so and was involved with naval intelligence for years. This warmongering attitude and intelligence training would define his political career.

1. 9/11 started the current U.S.-Middle East conflict

September 11th, 2001 was a tragic day in U.S. history. Almost 3,000 people were killed thousands of others were injured, affecting the lives of many more.

When al-Qaeda orchestrated the attacks - against the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, and a failed attack that ended in a crash in Pennsylvania - Americans had no idea why.

They assume they "hated us for our freedoms" and bought the government propaganda hook, line, and sinker. Despite the fact al-Qaeda was born of U.S. interventionism in the Middle East, and that brand of interventionism was the first punch in the current conflict.