10 Things I Love About '10 Things I Hate About You'

It's just too good to be true.

823
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPNYsH9XAAA9-0P.jpg:large
Youtube

It is never the wrong time to re-watch or simply reminisce about the 90's rom-com 10 Things I Hate About You (not gonna lie, it's my favorite romcom), so here are the 10 things I love about 10 Things I Hate About You.

1. It's a love hate thing

"See that, there? Who needs affection when I have blind hatred?"

There's nothing I enjoy more than a good love/hate relationship on screen. Two characters who manage to put aside their differences and dumb fights only to realize they are perfect for each other. This is the case with Kat Stratford and Patrick Verona, one of the most iconic and memorable couples in 90's romcoms. The chemistry between the characters is undeniable from the start, and nothing compares to seeing them both fall for each other as the movie progresses. Be it when Patrick realizes that Kat isn't afraid of him (even though everyone else is) or when Kat realizes Patrick's eyes have a little green in them and he's not as vile as she thought he was.

Memorable quote: "But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you / Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all."

2. Bébé Joseph Gordon Levitt

"I burn, I pine, I perish."

Cameron is the ultimate sweet guy, only made sweeter by the fact he's a young Joseph Gordon Levitt. Besides having the iconic 90's/00's haircut, this character has the biggest heart in the world and it's impossible not to love him. He falls for Bianca Stratford as soon as he sees her, learns French for her, comes up with a very Shakespearian plan in order to date her, and drives her home even after she goes off with Joey "eat me" Donner (because he doesn't resent the "friend zone" and doesn't expect a girl to like him just because he likes her; all he wants is honesty). He is a 10 out of 10 on the wholesome, lovable character scale and one of the most mature characters in the movie.

Memorable quote: "Just cause you are beautiful, that doesn't mean that you can treat people like they don't matter."

3. The 10 Things I Hate About You Mixtape

"I want you to want me."

The 90's is strong in this one. Besides the clothes and the humor, a big 90's factor in this hit film is its soundtrack. Every single song has that nice 90's feel to it. which makes the movie all the better. It even includes the guest appearance of the band Letters to Cleo, who perform the last song of the movie, "I Want You To Want Me", on top of the school roof (can you BE anymore 90's?) and their own song "Cruel To Be Kind" during the Club Skunk scene.

4. Kat, the feminist queen

"Am I that transparent? I want you, I need you. Oh baby, oh baby. *biggest eye roll in cinematic history*"

Kat is very tired of the oppressive patriarchal values that dictate our education, and society. Seeing her character on screen always felt great because it made it okay for girls to be outspoken and independent, while also being sensitive and finding someone who loves them just as they are. From defending herself from the idiot trying to grope her in the cafeteria line, to trying to help her sister navigate the world with guys like Joey Donner, to being an independent young woman with many aspirations in life (including attending an East coast school). Kat is an ultimate badass queen.

Memorable quote: "I guess in this society being male and an asshole makes you worthy of our time."

bonus: "Why should I live up to other people's expectations instead of my own?"

5. She's a damsel, but she's not in distress

"That's for making my date bleed, that's for my sister, and that's for me."

Don't be fooled but he adorableness of this picture, it was taken mere seconds after Bianca kicks some ass for her date. After finding out Joey Donner was just going to use her for sex (something he'd also done to her sister Kat) and seeing him punch Cameron (who was defending Bianca's honor), our vision in pink steps in and punches the major high school douchebag in the nose (and he was shooting a nose add tomorrow!). Even though Bianca's character starts off as a very superficial and naive girl, she grows into a more mature character who realizes her own self-worth and the worth of the people around her who truly love her. Talk about another feminist queen.

Memorable quote: "There's a difference between like and love. Because I like my sketchers, but I love my Prada backpack."

*not her deepest quote, but we love her anyways.

6. A flash of that smile

"50 dollars and we've got a deal, Fabio."

I went long enough without talking about this. Damn. Heath Ledger, aka Patrick Verona, gives us his most dashing smile in this scene where he is trying to get more money out of Joey for dating Kat. Not his most moral moment, but definitely a great point for a character. For once, he shows a sillier, more humorous side to Padua High School's "scary" badass, which makes it so much easier to fall for his character. This is the first glimpse the audience gets of the actual Patrick Verona, mischievous, but ultimately a sweet and funny guy with a tough exterior.

Memorable quote: "Excuse me, have you seen The Feminine Mystique? I've lost my copy."

7. Before E.L. James, there was Ms. Perky

"Heinous bitch is the term used more often."

Allison Janney can make anything better, and her portrayal of Padua High's Guidance Counselor, Ms. Perky, is no exception. Who cares about Christian Grey when you have Reginald's quivering member? Ms. Perky gave excellent guidance, i.e.: "Heinous bitch is the term used more often. You might wanna work on that", but also worked as an erotica writer during school hours. I don't know what's better, her lines, Allison Janney's acting, or her very Professor Umbridge like outfits.

Memorable quote: "I'm sure you won't find Padua any different than your old schools. Same little as swipe little shit for brains everywhere."

8. Best date every

"I'm surprised that you've never been told before, that you're lovely, and your perfect, and that somebody wants you."

After flashing someone to get Patrick out of detention, Kat and Pat have debatably the most iconic and fun first date ever. They paddle around Lake Union for a while and then go off to have an amazing game of paintball (no guns, just hands, and paint balloons). The scene is 100% perfect, and probably the best date montage ever. Semisonic's "F.N.T." plays in the background, and we get to see two very serious and tough characters finally let their walls down to have a little fun. The cherry on top of this delicious has got to be their memorable first kiss on the haystacks, followed by some more paintball. Who says romance is dead?

Memorable quote: Patrick: "So you disappoint them from the start and then you're covered right?"

Kat: "Something like that."

Patrick: "Then you screwed up."

Kat: "How?"

Patrick: "You never disappointed me."

9. I should have listened to my father!

"Kissing isn't what keeps me up to my elbows in placenta all day long."

The best dad of the year award has got to go to Mr. Stratford. He's got the 411 and his mama didn't raise no fool, in other words, he's not like a regular dad, he's a cool dad. But just because he's a cool dad full of hilarious one-liners that doesn't mean he's not strict with his girls, specially, when it comes to dating. His dating rules,"no dating till you graduate and no dating till you graduate" and "Bianca can date, *points at Kat* when she does", are pretty much what trigger the rest of the plot. He might be a little paranoid, but in the end, he trusts his daughters and understands that if he loves them, eventually he must let them go.

Memorable quote: "You know, father's don't like to admit it when their daughters are capable of running their own lives, it means we've become spectators. Bianca still lets me play a few innings, you've had me on the bench for years. When you go to Sarah Lawrence I won't even be able to watch the game."

10. It's just too good to be true

"You embarrassed the girl. Sacrifice yourself in altar of dignity and even the score."

*don't say shit like that to Patrick Verona, people can hear you

And finally the most iconic and romantic of them all, the "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" scene. After embarrassing Kat, Patrick puts aside his bad boy persona and performs the amazing Frankie Valli and The 4 Seasons song in the middle of the bleachers during Kat's football practice. What's more romantic than that? Everything about this scene screams iconic, the song, Heath Ledger's dancing and singing, and Patrick running away from the cops who came in to chase him for living his life as if it was a Broadway musical. Arguably the most memorable scene in the movie, and a pivotal point for Kat and Patrick's relationship, I think this will always hold a special place in out hearts.

Memorable quote: "Just let me love you."