30 Things Girls In Their 20s Still Love About '10 Things I Hate About You'

This began as 10 things, and it turned out to be 30. Yes, it is that amazing of a movie.
4406

This began as 10 things, and easily turned out to be 30.

1. The creepy romance-writing guidance counselor 'Ms. Perky.'

Let's start at the beginning of the movie. One of the first characters we're introduced to is Ms. Perky, as she is writing her romance novel in her office. While she can make the students pretty uncomfortable and perhaps unwelcome, she is quite the character.

2. All of the outrageous high school labels.

From 'cowboy,' to 'coffee drinker,' to 'Bob Marley wannabe,' this school has got its fair share of labels and groups of ridiculous people to prove them correct.

3. The feisty and feministic Katerina Stratford.

"Hello Katerina, make anyone cry today?"

"Sadly no, but its only 4:30."

Quite honestly, Kat is one of my favorite movie characters of all time. I adore her personality, from her boldness to her witty comebacks.

4. Bianca Stratford's personality.

"There's a difference between like and love. Because, I like my Skechers, but I love my Prada backpack."

5. When Kat Tells Off Joey Donner.

Which, thank goodness, is like every second of Mr. Morgan's class! And I love it every single time she does. He is so arrogant. Model-status? How about self-righteous status?

6. The 'No Dating Until You Graduate First' Rule.

Mr. Stratford's protectiveness of his daughters and his constant determination to understand teenage lingo always makes me laugh.

7. Joey Donners attractiveness.

Okay, I hate the guy. But, I have got to admit, he has a pretty amazing jawline. On the other hand, nobody will ever come anywhere close to the attractiveness of Patrick Verona. I'm in love with the guy.

8. Which brings us to- EVERYTHING about Patrick Verona.

I seriously can't tell you how much I love him. Is it the curls? Maybe. Is it the accent? Yes. The likeness to Harry Styles? Absolutely. His amazing sense of humor, lovable sarcasm, adorable charm, extreme confidence, and lovely self-assuredness? Most definitely.

9. Patrick Verona's many attempts to earn Kat's attraction.

From stalking her out at the record store to listening to her favorite band at Club Skunk, Verona will do anything to earn something besides her contempt.

10. Verona's sarcasm and sense of humor.

I think, by this point in the article, you're pretty much sick of me talking about how desperately in love I am with Patrick. But come on, he is so clever and charming! That part in the bar, with Cameron and Mike, where he says "Are you telling me I'm not a pretty guy?" Does that not get you every time? Because I just can't stop laughing and I wonder how Heath Ledger himself didn't start cracking up.

11. When Verona sees Kat dancing in Club Skunk.

He gets the cutest little smile on his face! When he goes to the bar, and she see's him as she's getting water. He says "You know, these guys are no 'Bikini Kill' or 'The Raincoats,' but they're not bad." and she says "You know who 'The Raincoats' are?" and then he says "Why, don't you?" I'm. In. Love.

12. Kat and Patrick's banter together.

My favorite part of the movie is whenever they're together!

13. How well Heath Ledger plays Patrick Verona.

Who else could pull off the accent and the curls? (Oh, Harry Styles.) But for real, Heath Ledger was perfect for the role. The wittiness and the charm could come from no one else.

14. Verona's smile.

Gets me every-single-time.

15. How Sweet Verona is to Kat when she's intoxicated.

He is such a sweetheart! He make's sure she's safe and constantly protects her and is there when she needs some help. He takes her home and makes sure she's okay because he cares about her so much, and I seriously love it.

16. Verona's pep talk to Cameron.

"Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want."

17. You can NEVER forget- Verona's song and dance serenade to Kat during her soccer practice!

Remember 'I love you baby?' Much like Harry Styles, he even has an amazing voice. Coincidence? I think not. This grand gesture is the best Promposal I have ever seen.

18. Verona and Kat's Banter - pt. 2.

"You don't care if I never wake up."

"Sure I do."

"Why?"

"Because then I'd have to start taking out girls who actually like me."

"Like you could find one."

One of my favorite parts.

19. The surprising way that Kat decides to get Verona out of detention.

"Its not everyday that you find a girl who will flash someone to get you out of detention."

20. When Kat and Verona play paintball.

This part genuinely makes me smiles so much. Who knew these two people would fall in love? I remember when they were in the same class - Mr. Morgan's English class - and they hardly knew each other. They even spoke to each other once before they even met.

"What did I miss?"

"The oppressive patriarchal values that dictate our education."

And who knew they would end up doing paintball together while simultaneously falling in love?!

21. When Bianca kisses Cameron.

So cute! Talk about confidence!

22. Verona and Kat together at Prom.

They have so much fun together! I swear, they are actual soul mates. Their personalities just click so well and nothing's ever awkward when they're together. It's always carefree, exciting, and a grand old time. I aspire to have that kind of relationship!

23. Cameron's dorkiness and how nerdy and adorable he is.

Finally, time to shed some light on someone besides the love of my life, Verona. In love with Bianca, the nerdy and hilarious Cameron always makes me smile with his indifference and ability to let a joke go right over his head.

24. When Verona had Kat's favorite band play at Prom.

How much cuter than this can you get? He seriously loves the girl and has yet to admit it! I know it all began as a bet, sadly enough, but look at what it's came to. The best relationship there ever was.

25. Verona and Kat's talk on the paddle boat.

This, thankfully, led to the paintball adventure! One of my favorite parts, and date ideas. Verona saw the paintball place while on the boat, so basically the boat is what led them there! Wouldn't that be an awesome date?!

26. THE SOUNDTRACK.

"I'm surprised that you never been told before that you're lovely. and you're perfect. and that somebody wants you." (that somebody= Patrick Verona, of course.) But seriously, the songs are so perfect and fitting to the movie.

27. When Bianca punches Joey Donner three times at Prom!

The fierceness and sassiness is something I covet! I love the fact that she's standing up not only for herself but for Cameron and for her sister, too. She may be a sweetheart but she's also a savage. In the best way, of course.

28. Kat and her father's deep talk at the end.

The one about going to college at Sarah Lawrence, and about how he really admires and is impressed with her personality. I love this because for once, Mr. Stratford is serious and tells his daughter he really is impressed with the person she is. I love the fact that he also tells her he sent a tuition check to the college, despite it being so far away on the East Coast. Its a really sweet family moment and you can see Kat is touched by the fact that her dad thinks so highly of her.

29. And, of course, Kat's speech/sonnet to Verona. Hence the name, "10 Things I Hate About You."

This part truly makes me cry. Kat may have her walls built up for most of the entirety of the movie, but she finally lets them down as she reads aloud her Shakespearean sonnet based off of her experiences and feelings regarding Patrick Verona. Finally, we see that she's only human and has feelings, a heart, and a soul, just like the rest of us. She can deny it all she wants, but she's in love with Patrick and through the words of her sonnet, she finally admits it, particularly to him as he sits in the same English class. Just like Kat, I'm crying by the end of the speech.

“I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare. I hate your big dumb combat boots, and the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick; it even makes me rhyme. I hate it, I hate the way you're always right. I hate it when you lie. I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry. I hate it when you're not around, and the fact that you didn't call. But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all."

30. EVERYTHING.

And finally, we reach the end of my absolute favorite movie. The last thing I love about it is, well, everything. I adore the ending, when Kat finds the guitar (Fender Strat) from Verona, and they make up for good. I can't even put into words how much I love this movie, but hey, I tried, and I really hope you enjoyed listening to my take on one of the best films of the 90's. And if for some reason you've never seen this classic, I hope my article has inspired you enough to go watch it right now!