10 Struggles Only People With Summer Jobs Will Understand

You really thought this would be more fun...

15
fanpop

Every summer, millions of teens across the country take their first steps into adulthood by applying for their first summer jobs. I mean, why wouldn't you want a summer job? You'll get tons of money, gain work experience, and you'll probably have tons of fun! Unfortunately, you realize after a couple days at work that summer jobs may not be all they're cracked up to be. From long hours to crappy pay, here are ten struggles anyone who's ever had a summer job can relate to.

1. Early Wake Up Calls.

No matter what your job is, chances are that it will eventually require you to be awake way earlier than you would ever choose to be. You’re telling me that I have to come to work at 8 a.m. on a Saturday? Hello, this is summer vacation! I shouldn’t have to be awake until at least 10 a.m.! A little part of you dies inside every time you’re alarm clock goes off, but hey, it’s for the money, right?

2. You Don’t Know Anyone At First.

When you first start at your job, you probably won’t know any of your co-workers very well, which can lead to very lonely and awkward shifts. You're not sure if you should try to be friends with them or keep a professional distance, so you end up feeling pretty lonely most of the time. It can be extremely uncomfortable and weird to spend so much time with complete strangers, but over time, you’ll learn that work is a lot easier and more enjoyable if you make friends at your job. It may take a while, but hopefully by the end of the summer, you’ll have made a few good friends through work. You may not love your job, but you should learn to love (or at least get along with) your coworkers.

3. It’s Sooooo Boring.

It doesn’t matter where you work—a restaurant, a pool, in retail—there will be days where literally nothing is going on. And you may think that this would be a good thing—less work, right?—but spending a six hour shift sitting in a chair and staring off into space is miserable. You thought you would be having a blast this summer, but you end up feeling like you're stuck back in your boring history class, feeling like you're about to die of boredom. Having work to do makes the time pass more quickly, but when you’re not busy, ten minutes can feel like 10 years.

4. Your Uniform Sucks.

Unless you managed to snag a job at a trendy retail outlet where you get to wear cute clothes for your job, you probably hate what you have to wear at work. It’s always something—the colors are gross, the fabric of your polo shirt is itchy, or your guard suit gives you weird tan lines. The worst part is when a cute girl/guy is at your work and your uniform is totally ruining any chance you have with them. How can you flirt when you look like this?!

5. That One Annoying Coworker.

Every workplace has one, and they are the worst. They constantly try to one-up you, they rat you out to your boss, and they’re always trying to tell you how to do your job. Every interaction with them makes you feel like you're going to commit murder. Every time you get a new schedule, you pray that it doesn’t have you and your annoying coworker working the same shift, and if it does, you try to desperately to find someone to switch with you. Some people just aren’t worth dealing with for minimum wage.

6. Your Pay Isn’t That Great.

You’ve always dreamed of having loads of cash to blow on fun nights out with friends and awesome clothes, so you were thrilled when you got hired at your summer job. Unfortunately, you then realized that minimum wage does not equal huge amounts of cash. It actually equals very small amount of cash. Every time you think about how many hours you had to work for your measly pay check, you get a little depressed. Not to mention how much of your paycheck gets taken out for taxes—it’s so unfair!

7. All the Cleaning.

If you had realized that you would spend so much time mopping and taking out the trash, you would not have been so excited to start work. Cleaning the bathroom literally makes you sick, and the dumpster smells like a city sewer on a hot summer day. Most of the time you feel like poor Cinderella being forced to clean up after her evil step-family but without all the cute animal friends to help you out.

8. Serious FOMO.

Summer is supposed to be an amazing, relaxing time to hang out with your friends and have tons of fun. But when you have a summer job, you realize that you won’t have as much time to kick it with your besties as you thought. You have to start turning down all the offers from your friends to go to the movies or grab fro-yo because you have to work. You can’t help but feel left out when everyone in your squad is posting Instagrams of their awesome hang outs while you’re stuck at work.

9. It’s Exhausting.

Even when you do get off work early enough to have a great night out with your friends, you’re way too tired to do anything but go straight to your couch to nap and catch up on Grey’s Anatomy. And your parents totally don’t understand.

“You’re sixteen! You shouldn’t be this tired after work!”

Hey, you’re a working member of society now, you deserve to indulge in five hour naps every day. Work is hard!

10. You're There Forever.

Or at least that's what it feels like! You're shift may be only four hours, but

every second feels like an eternity when you're on duty. Every time you glance at the clock, you're shocked at how little time has passed. You'll slowly start to go crazy as you watch the minute hand move at a glacial pace around the face of the clock. The worst part is the last ten minutes of your shift, when you're so close to getting out of there but still so far away. You'll start to wonder if the clock even works—you swear it hasn't moved in ages!

To sum it up, summer jobs can be a real pain. You have to wear stupid clothes, you miss out on fun times with your friends, and it’s sooo tiring. But despite all the struggles you face at your job, at the end of the day, you’re glad to be working. You're learning to be responsible and hardworking, and by the end of the summer, you'll be a much better adult. Besides, some money is better than none, right? And if you work hard enough, you’ll be rolling in style in no time!