11 Small Ways to Deal With Stress

11 Small Ways to Deal With Stress

Sleep, Bed, Netflix.

9
11 Small Ways to Deal With Stress
tumblr

College can be very stressful at times and we often forget that between school, work, club activities and hanging out with friends, we must take care of ourselves, too.

According to organizations such as AP, APA, and ADAA, approximately 50% of college students reported feeling overwhelming anxiety at least once in the past year. Another statistic shows 80% of students saying they sometimes or often feel stressed.

While these two statistics are from different sources, the message is clear: college kids juggle so many commitments in their life, it's taking a toll on their mental health.

Even if you aren't feeling stressed or overwhelmed very often (good for you!), you can still follow these simple tips on how to stay relaxed and happy.

1. Take a Walk

Taking a walk is refreshing and can help you clear your mind.

2. Listen to Music You Love

Almost nothing makes me happier than putting in my headphones, blocking out the world and just getting lost in some good music.

3. Watch Some Netflix

The only thing that makes me happier than good music, is good Netflix. Snuggle up under your blankets with your childhood teddy bear and binge watch some Grey's Anatomy. Trust me, you deserve it.

4. Visit the Counseling Center

The counseling center on campus offers free services to all students who ask for them. Whether you feel like you could be developing anxiety or depression or if you're just having a stressful day, the people at the counseling center are there to help. I have utilized the counseling center on my campus and the people there were more welcoming and understanding than I could have imagined.

5. Plan Out Your Day

It always puts me at ease to know exactly what's going on in my day. You don't have to plan down to the exact minute when and where you're going to have dinner, but definitely plan out to have dinner.

6. Study With Friends

Studying with friends can be very fun and a good stress reliever. Instead of shutting yourself up in your room like a hermit, you can surround yourself with people who will help you study and keep it fun in the process.

7. Talk With Someone About How You're Feeling

Whether it be your mom, a friend, your roommate, a professor, literally anyone, just talk to someone if you don't want to go to the counseling center. Talking with someone can really relieve stress and help you realize what you're going through.

8. Find a Go-To Spot to Study

Finding a comfortable place on campus can help you feel more relaxed about studying.

9. Stock Your Room With Your Favorite Snacks

Another good thing that makes me happy is yummy snacks. If I'm feeling particularly unmotivated about finishing an assignment or taking an online quiz, a quick snack can really get me fueled.

10. But Still Eat Well

Be moderate. If you're constantly filling your body with sugary, fatty snacks, you'll start to feel really gross really fast.

11. Take a Nap

Don't sleep your day away and don't make naps your go-to solution for everything, but they can definitely re-energize you and get you going again. Sometimes, all you really need is just that extra 20 or 30 minutes of sleep.

College can be incredibly stressful at times and we all need to remember that in between all the chaos of life, we need to take care of ourselves.