10 Simple Ways You Can Improve Your Life

When life gets crazy, follow these easy and free steps to have better days.

18
Peaceful Images

Life can get a little crazy sometimes. Here are a few small things you can do to have better days.

1. Make your bed as soon as you get up.

Messy bed, messy life! Even if my room is a little messy, I have to have my bed made. Your bed is the start and end of your day, and you deserve to have a nicely made bed to look forward to. Coming home to a little wrapped up present from yourself is a highly underrated thing.

2. Try to get exercise each day.

Your body is your home, and if you don't have a stable foundation to walk around in, your whole day can be thrown off. Maybe you walk to get coffee instead of driving, or you take up 15 minutes of cardio a day. Walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator! Exercise can release so much tension that you don't even know you are storing inside of you. Leading to the next point...

3. Take up general ideas of yoga.

Stretch out your tension and pay attention to your breath! Yoga teaches that the flow of the breath is the most basic pattern of life, and if you bring all of your attention to your breathing, it can be incredibly calming and bring you back to your center. Your hips are a place that you store tension, so try to do a few basic stretches (look them up on youtube) like half-pigeon or even front fold to get those hips loosened up.

4. Meditate at least once a day.

Hear me out; meditation doesn't mean you have to sit cross legged on the floor and find the secrets of the universe. Meditation can be taking the time to pray to your God, or simply sit and take the time to reflect on your day and think about all the good things you have to be grateful for.

5. Make a gratitude list.

Keep this on the notes on your phone or hand write it, whatever you think is better! Set a reminder before you go to bed to write down three things you are grateful for that day. Even if it's a bad day, finding the light in things will soon change your mindset. Even if it's as small as "Today I am grateful for photos of my dog, strong iced tea, and rainy weather," it's worth it to write it down. You'll thank yourself later when you look back and see everything that you felt appreciative of.

6. STOP STOP STOP overthinking communication.

Seriously, who cares how many minutes John from that party took to respond, and why does your response have to be formulated and revised six times before you answer? Answer when you feel like it and say what you want to say- if people really care how many minutes you took to answer and analyze which Emoji you picked, that is not an organic relationship and is a waste of time anyway.

7. Reach out to people when you think of them.

Even if you just see a picture on your phone of your best friends who went to all different schools after you graduated, take the time to send them a text. All you have to say is "Hey, I saw this picture and it made me think of you! Hope you're having a great day." You never know what that message means to someone, and can rebuild relationships you didn't know you missed.

8. Call your family.

We get so caught up in our lives that we simply run out of time to contact our loved ones. You probably don't know it, but I can bet your grandparents wait for you to call all the time, and they'll talk about how nice it was to hear from you for days after you call. Family is important, try to make it a priority.

9. Drink more water.

Being dehydrated can make you feel way worse than you think! Drink some water every time you think about it. This will benefit your skin, your digestion, and your energy levels.

10. Motivate yourself by striving to reach a new height every day.

Whether you run .1 more miles at the gym, do 10 more squats, get one more assignment done, or even pet your dog for a minute longer, practicing self control and determination can come through in your motivation to get things done, and can lead to greater self confidence as you realize you are capable of more than you think!