10 Reasons The 2017 Chicago Cubs Are World Series Worthy, Again

Post-Season Is Underway, You Better Get Ready For A Brand New Day

385
Flickr

If you are an avid Chicago Cubs fan, then the 2016 World Series win was probably a huge deal for you. It really was a big deal for American baseball as a whole, seeing that the Cubbies had not won a World Series title since 1908. This was the longest running championship drought in sports history. With this in mind and the Cubbies' recent clinching of a spot in the NLDS alongside the Washington Nationals, the question of a consecutive World Series appearance of the Chicago Cubs has risen. As a life-long Chicago Cubs fan myself, I believe there are plenty of reasons to believe why a 2017 World Series appearance by the Cubbies is probable.

1. Their Defense

Cubbies fan or not, everyone in baseball knows that the Chicago Cubs have an amazing defense. Newly appointed catcher following the retirement of David Ross Wilson Contreras has picked off and thrown out a combined 30 baserunners this season, and in just 108 games. In addition to the immense defensive threat behind the plate, the Cubbies also have Javier ("Javy") Baez. Second basemen and alternative infielder, Baez is known for his countless defensive gems, including multiple no look tags. Lastly, the Cubs have a pretty impressive outfield as well. This includes Albert Almora Jr. but is especially true of the four-time Gold Glove Award Winner, Jason Heyward.

2. Resemblance To Last Year's World Series Winning Team

If you watched the Cubbies play in the World Series last season then you know that we still have a majority of the players on the team. With the exception of David Ross, Dexter Fowler, and Aroldis Chapman. However, the starting lineup is still very similar with big contributors such as Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant, numerous returning pitchers, and 2016's World Series MVP Ben Zobrist.

3. Threatening Power Hitters

The Chicago Cubs have two returning lefty power hitters, Anthony Rizzo and Kyle Schwarber. While both players have hit slumps this season, you can guarantee that both still hold immense power and are a threat to any competing pitcher. On September 30th this year against the Cincinnati Reds, Schwarber hit his 30th home run of the season, making it the first time in Cubs' history that multiple lefty hitters (Schwarber and Rizzo) have hit 30 plus homers.

4. Almost Unbeatable Closer

If you recall, last year's closer for the Chicago Cubs, Aroldis Chapman, was a largely vital aspect not only in the season, but in the World Series as well. While some questioned management on this decision, Chapman pitched 5 of the 7 games played in the World Series and was instrumental in the 2016 winning title. That being said, it was hard to see Chapman return to the New York Yankees this season. However, the Cubs acquired yet another strong closer, Wade Davis, who has had a near perfect record with only two blown saves in 59 games this year.

5. History Is On Chicago's Side

I almost don't want to say this, as a Cubs fans I am worried about jinxing them, but the last Cubs team to win the World Series won the title back to back. That's right, the famous 1908 World Series winning team also won the title in 1907. Also, this season the Cubs clinched a spot in the playoffs for the third season in a row, something that hasn't been done by the franchise since 1906-1908. Hopefully, the Cubbies can repeat the consecutive World Series win record as well.

6. Team Chemistry

As a baseball fan and someone who grew up watching the sport, I have learned that one thing that is important to a team's success is their chemistry. This is something the Cubbies have plenty of. A prime example of this is the undeniable bromance between Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant. The pair is not only very supportive of one another on and off the field but play extremely well in the infield together as well. They've also started their own souvenir company called Byrzzo with ads that feature Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, and even Javier Baez.

7. Honorable Vets

The Cubbies are a team with plenty of experience. One veteran alone has seen three World Series championships. Yes, none other than left-handed pitcher Jon Lester. Last season alone, the lefty was named an all-star for the fourth time in his career, achieved NLCS MVP title, and won the Babe Ruth award. Safe to say, the vet has some serious talent on the mound, just don't ask him to pick off. Other veterans players include Jake Arietta, John Lackey, and Alex Avila.

8. Versatility

If there's anything that the Cubs have in great supply it's versatility. This is something Manager Joe Maddon has emphasized numerous times as being something he sees to be a vital part of a successful team. Well, with players such as Javier Baez who has seen playing time at both second base and shortstop, as well as third base, Ian Happ at second and centerfield, and Ben Zobrist at second base, as well as right and left field, the Cubbies are left with numerous options for any scenarios that may stand in their way of the title. This also comes in handy when players need to be rested.

9. Maddon's Leadership

Joe Maddon became the manager of the Chicago Cubs in 2015. That year he led them to the National League Championship Series and was then named the National League Manager of 2015. In 2016, Maddon managed the Cubs to their first World Series win since 1908. He is known for his fun approaches of giving motivation to his players such as bringing zoo animals to the field and having themed road trips. It is through these extra means, that some may call a little unorthodox, that Maddon has been able to create a team with such strong chemistry.

10. Strong Fan Base

It is undeniable that the Chicago Cubs have a fan base unlike any other. They are loyal, hopeful, and just love the game of baseball. It is a fandom I am proud to say I'm a part of.