11 Reasons Why It's Awesome To Have A Guy Best Friend

No, we aren't dating or going to get married, we are just friends.

77
Independent News

If you are anything like me, you don't always get along with large groups of girls. You aren't particularly a girly-girl and would much rather be in sweatpants watching sports than dressed up and going out to a club. Don't get me wrong, girl friends are extremely important to have; I am blessed with a few female individuals I'm lucky enough to call my best friends, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. However, I am just as close with my guys friends. Girl-guy friendships are so extremely important to have. I don't understand why some people say males and females can't be just friends because those are the best friendships out there. If you don't believe me, here are 11 reasons why having a guy best friend is actually the best.

1. You always have someone to watch the game with

Not that all girls don't understand sports, plenty do, but some girls could care less to watch the Superbowl or the NBA Championship game. Or even worse, your girl friends watch these games with you and ask a million questions or just point out which athletes are cute. If you seriously want to pay attention to a game watch it with your guy friends. They will yell and scream at the TV right alongside you or maybe even get tickets and take you to a game; that's when you know you are one of the guys.

2. No drama

It is inevitable to have a large group of girl friends and not have drama. Girls just care more about opinions and what others think of them, even if they say they don't. Of course, every friend group has its own problems, but guys just seem to not care as much. They could make fun of each other for hours and just laugh it off and not take it personally. Sometimes you just need a break from girls night to go hang out with the guys and play video games.

3. They give the best advice

Guys truly do give the best advice. They are very helpful because they help you understand how guys think and make you look at a situation from a different perspective. Your guy best friend is the best listener and has seen you cry too many times to count, and he always picks you back up. However, sometimes they also don't always tell you what you want to hear. At times, girls are afraid to tell each other the hard truth. Guys on the other hand will tell you if your ex-boyfriend is in fact an asshole and that you should never go back to him.

4. You can be yourself around them

When hanging with your guy best friend, you don't have to worry about impressing anyone. You could have your hair up, no makeup on and be wearing sweatpants and they could care less. You can eat as much as you want and burp as loud as you want; they will probably even turn it into a competition.

5. They always give you their honest opinion

They will flat out tell you if you are being annoying or if you are in the wrong, they tend to not sugarcoat things like girls do. Although they tend to not judge you, they aren't afraid to tell you if you don't look your best, or better yet, they help you out and tell you certain things that guys like and help you pick out your outfit accordingly.

6. They fill multiple roles

My guy best friend is like the brother I never had. However, he also acts like my dad sometimes and tells me when I need to get myself together or when I need to work harder. They can also be just like your girl friends and watch sappy movies and eat ice cream with you. They may even ask to watch a chick-flick with you (just because they will judge themselves if they watch it alone).

7. You always have a date

Along with them being your best friend, they also fill the role of a boyfriend at times. They will take you out on nice dates, even though you have to pay for yourself. Also, you know you always have someone to take to events. Whether it be a party or a wedding or whatever, you know you wont have to go alone because you have him. Even if he does have a girlfriend at the time, he still goes with you because she knows you would never be a threat.

8. They are great match-makers

Your guy best friend is the best wing man. They go out of their way to talk you up to their friends and sometimes even get some digits for you. They let you know if they don't like the guy you are talking to and try to find you someone they approve of. They have to approve the guy you are with otherwise you will never hear the end of it.

9. They can be your bodyguard

When you go out with them, you can use them as an excuse to not talk to other creepy guys. They'll give you your space until you notion to them that you want out, and then they will act like your boyfriend and come to your rescue. They also make you feel safe late at night and you know they would do anything to protect you.

10. They make you care-free and happy

You don't have to constantly worry about things when you are with them. They take your mind off the important things at times and make you laugh and do stupid things with you. Sometimes, all you need is a good laugh to cheer you up, and they are always there to lend a helping hand. Nobody quite puts you in a better mood than them.

11. They toughen you up

They treat you like their own sister and aren't afraid to beat on you sometimes. They may even rough house with you in public and people may be alarmed--don't worry, they don't really mean any harm. However, if you are like me and don't have any brothers, having guy friends is good for you. They teach you how to defend yourself and how to not take any crap from other people. You should thank them for this.

I am truly blessed to have such great guy friends in my life. Without them, life would be much more boring and unfulfilling. Sometimes it is fun to just be one of the bros and to not worry about anything else. Thank you for always being there and for being my favorite guys.