11 Reasons Why Athletic Trainers Have It Tough

we wouldn't survive without them.

5071
Amanda Matsumoto

As an athlete who's spent wayyy too much time in the training room, I've learned that athletic trainers play a huge role in a team's success. The sad thing is that they're often under appreciated. Being in the training room has allowed me to see some of the difficult responsibilities and for those of you who aren't aware, here are 11 ways that athletic trainers have it tough

1) They put in as many hours or even more than the athletes but not getting any glory

They have to show up to every practice, meeting, and game that the athletes do often coming in 2+ hours before to get the water ready, med bag packed, the athletes taped, treated, and stretched before they step on the field. Not to mention the time spent outside of practices, setting up doctors appointments, writing up rehab exercises, and figuring out ways to get players back on the field in as little time as possible. We often don't realize how much time they actually spend and take their time for granted.

When the news headline comes out about the girl on the softball team hitting the walk-off home run you don't read how the athletic trainer spent the whole week trying to get her back on the field after suffering an injury. So for the unsaid recognition you deserve, thank you.

SEE ALSO:11 Struggles Of An Athlete On Long Bus Rides

2) Constantly conflicted with letting the athlete play through pain or sit them out

When the game's on the line this decision is crucial and I've seen the difficult process of making the call. You have to make the decision in the athlete's best interest and sometimes this comes with disappointing the coach, the other team members, the fans and the player themselves.

3) Somehow having to keep the player, the coaches, and the doctor happy all at the same time.

I'm sure it's no easy task having to follow the doctor's orders, keep the athlete in as little pain as possible, and make the coach happy by allowing their best player to get back on the field. Also can't forget the parents of the athlete, who sometimes feel that you don't know what you're doing and try to do your job for you.

4) Knowing that even when you've tried everything, the athlete still might not feel well enough to play.

I've seen them work day in and day out, use every treatment technique in the books and the athlete still isn't well enough to play. But what people have to understand is you're not a magician who can make injuries disappear, there's only so much you can do.

5) Having to listen to every whine and complain about every ailment

I've had my fair share of these for sure. I'm sure you're sick of hearing them but thanks for treating them anyway.

6) Having to tape athletes with smelly feet, toe fungus, allergic reactions, rashes, ugly toenails you name it.

For all these gross situations and more I truly applaud you!

7) Just the sheer amount of physical demand this job takes

From being on their toes all day long to a never ending line of athletes who need massages, stretches, tape jobs, etc. This job is hands on and it ain't for the weak. I'm sore but I can't even imagine how you feel after a full day's work.

8) Having to brave the temperature extremes

We complain when it's too hot, too cold, rainy, or snowing and we often forget that they're out there braving the weather too. They have to endure our sometimes long brutal practices in the worst of weather and I often look at them shivering and feel so bad because they're not running around like we are to stay warm.

9) Getting told you don't know what you're doing

Between athletes reading on webmd and diagnosing themselves or people telling you "you're no doctor how do you know". People often underestimate how much school/training you went through and how much you actually do know.

10) Having to take care of athletes on days when even they themselves aren't feeling well

I can't imagine having to make others feel better day in and day out when I'm going through a difficult time. If they're sick or having a bad day they still show up and make sure we're okay even when they're not.

11) The mini heart attack when they see when their athletes go down with an injury

It's gotta be tough watching an athlete go down with an injury especially the times where you worked so hard to get them back out there and now you have to start back at square one. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. That's what they're there for but it still cringing to watch.

For putting up with us needy athletes and everything else, thank you guys. We wouldn't be out there if it wasn't for you. There are many other things you do, not listed in this article but know we are grateful for all your time and effort. Thank you for the life talks, life lessons, tape jobs, heat packs, massages, stretches, rehab exercises and everything in between. I know you often go unnoticed but we truly appreciate you! Our team wouldn't survive without you. A huge shout out to my team's athletic trainer Kayla and the rest of the Charleston Southern staff that keeps us going!

From Your Site Articles