10 Phrases People In Their 20s Need To Hear More Often

"Get a job" is definitely not one of them.

48
Businessinsider.co.id

"We used to play pretend, give each other different names,/ We would build a rocket ship and then we'd fly it far away,/ Used to dream of outer space but now they're laughing at our face,/ Saying, 'Wake up, you need to make money.'" Pretty sure most young (and older) adults can relate to these lyrics. We want to go back in time and be a kid with less responsibilities. Instead, we have to get a degree, job, place to live, significant other, etc. We hear this constantly throughout our school years. And if you go to college, it seems you hear this even more. You have all these choices to make for your future, and you're constantly reminded of them. However, there are a lot of things young adults don't hear often. Here's 10 things I wish young adults heard more often.

1. It's OK if you don't have a job in your field yet

Jobs in general are hard to come by nowadays, much less those in your field. If you wind up in retail, the food business or somewhere else that's completely out of your field, don't stress about it. You have to start somewhere, and you can gain valuable skills along the way. Especially if you have bills to pay, odds are you can't really afford to be picky about your job. Just try to stay clear of jobs hat you know will drain your soul. If just thinking about that jobs fills you with anxiety, it's probably time to look somewhere else (I suggest starting with Ziprecruiter or Indeed).

2. College isn't for everyone

Seriously, it's not. College is tough. You're given so much information that you're expected to grasp in such a short amount of time. It's stressful. This isn't me saying don't continue your education by any means. I'm just saying that you're not less of a person for not going to college if you don't feel it's right for you. Besides, there are other ways to continue your education.

3. You don't have to have a license right now

It's gotten rather annoying when people find out I don't have my license yet and are basically like, "What are you waiting for? What are you doing?" Um, currently working on getting it? Can you not judge me, please? Yea it was my fault for not working on getting it more in high school, but I don't need to be reminded of it. Having a license and a car is freeing since you don't have to rely on anyone for transportation, but it's ok if you don't have it yet. Just get it when you can and at your own pace.

4. It's OK if you still live at home

Especially if you're not being charged for rent. Living on your own can get expensive. Use this time to save up as much as you can (and help your family out as much as possible, too).

5. You don't have to have your life figured out by now

I've even talked to middle-aged people that aren't sure what they wanna do for the rest of their lives. You definitely don't have to know everything this early. Just take life one day at a time.

6. Focus on yourself right now

Relationships are great, but they're not everything. If you're single, take this time to develop yourself. Build up your savings. Exercise. Indulge in a hobby. Advance in your career. Do whatever will make you a better you.

7. It's still OK to dream

Pursue whatever your passion is. If it energizes you just thinking about it, go for it. Whether it's art, vlogging, landscaping- whatever it is, make time to do it. It'll be a welcome break from you daily grind.

8. Explore new things

Find new hobbies. Learn random facts. Go to a place nearby that you haven't been before. The world is huge. Don't limit yourself to what you already know.

9. Your degree (or lack thereof) doesn't define you

Yes, degrees can help you get jobs, but they don't make you somebody. You still have to work hard regardless of whether you have one (or multiple).

10. You don't have to get another degree if you don't want to

When agencies that help people look for a job would call me and ask if I was going back to school to get another degree, I'd tell them no or I wasn't sure. They'd then proceed to tell me that I had a better chance of getting a job if I went back to school. While that's good advice, it's not a rule. You don't have to go back to school if you don't want to. Some fields (psychology, for example), require a master's or even higher degrees. If you want to stay on that track, you can't really avoid that. But for other fields, you could teach yourself and not have to worry about paying more tuition.

Overall, I just think there's a lot of unnecessary pressure being put on my generation. If someone's doing the best they can right now, encourage them and help them to do better. Don't make them feel like failures if they're not able to support themselves yet.

To those who may be overwhelmed at adulting right now, just breathe. You'll be ok. Everything doesn't have to work out all at once. The past and the present don't determine the future. You will make it.