10 Must-Visit Coffee Shops In The Johns Creek Area

Coffee and coffee shops are their own forms of art and are ready to be explored.

1046
Ben Morrow

Whether you’re a student, retired or anything in between, you probably know that coffee is more than just caffeinated bean water. Coffee is an art form and a friendship builder, and a good cup of joe can mean the difference between an alright day and a fantastic day. Baristas experiment by adding everything from fruit to syrups to the drinks, making every menu item a masterpiece. Coffee shops are centers of community, each with its own vibes and character. While Starbucks is just as interesting, the local feel is often missing; here, I have compiled a list of–in my opinion–the top 10 best coffee shops in Johns Creek and the surrounding areas.

1. Land of a Thousand Hills

Located in a stand-alone store about two miles from historic downtown Roswell, Land of a Thousand Hills combines coffee with world change by growing coffee in large plantations in Rwanda. They showcase live music on Friday and Saturday nights from 8-10 PM. Coffee drinkers can sit in the main room, a separate conference-type room or on the patio. Signature drinks include “chills,” a flavored coffee drink of milkshake consistency and many types of tea. They also sell a variety of pastries (some are gluten-free!). “Drink coffee, do good,” and visit Land of a Thousand Hills! Check them out here.

Must try: Samoan Chill – thick, milkshake-like coffee drink with chocolate and caramel that tastes very much like a Samoa Girl Scout cookie

2. Espresso’s Coffee

Truly my favorite coffee place that I have found in the area, this little steal is tucked away in Alpharetta off of Atlanta Hwy. The holiday decorations are exquisite, and the ambience is unique because the music is played off of an old-fashioned vinyl record player. Staff are very friendly and appreciative, especially if you tell them that you drove all the way from Johns Creek to visit. The large menu of breakfast foods are all worth trying, and I have not found anything there yet that I did not deeply enjoy. Great for staying the entire day and snuggling up, even in the summertime. Check us out here.

Must try: Pumpkin Cream Hot Chocolate—hot chocolate with a deep, creamy taste; while the pumpkin is not super pronounced (you can request an extra flavor shot if you’re looking for a pumpkin-y taste,) the hot chocolate is amazingly savory. Order this if you are looking for a good chocolate drink

3. Coffee Bianco

Advertised as the “best coffee in town,” Coffee Bianco doesn’t disappoint! The indoor atmosphere is simple yet modern, and the outdoor patio on the side is surrounded by plants that make you forget that you’re looking out onto Holcomb Bridge Road. The staff is all incredibly friendly and knowledgeable, and their extensive drink menu is complimented excessively well by their decadent desserts and all-day breakfast options. Check them out here.

Must try: Bianco Latte—served hot or cold, the Bianco Latte is an artful blend of cinnamon, coffee and orange fruity flavors. Make sure you drink it slowly to taste all of the layers

4. Espresso Theory

A cute little gem located in downtown Duluth, this space-themed coffee shop will knock you into orbit with its large assortment of coffee brews, drinks and cakes. While most coffee shops live and die by their special drinks, Espresso Theory offers a classic roast so good that it is almost difficult to order anything else. Gamer posters all over the wall and a shelf selling locally-made barbeque sauce add an interesting feel to the already-intriguing coffee stop. Visit them here.

Must try: House blend coffee—even if you’re not a fan of traditional coffee, you won’t be able to help but savor the craftily blended drink

5. The Coffee Lodge

Located within the First Redeemer Church complex in Cumming, this cute little coffee place looks dull on the outside but has a warm, comfortable, lodge-like ambience inside. With its extensive seating, this little find is perfect for meetings or studying. Pricing is very fair for the good quality drinks that you receive, and the baristas are always friendly and willing to chat. Since it is located in a church, the Christmas decorations are phenomenal and magical.

Must try: Pumpkin Spice Latte—while I’ve never really been a fan of this cult classic, the spice is anything but strong and the pumpkin adds a nice flavor to the coffee

6. Orange Coffee Bar

Located near Gwinnett Place Mall in Duluth, this cute yet contemporary coffee shop is perfect for sitting and studying for a while. The dishes are adorable, and the staff is young yet knowledgeable. Admittedly a little difficult to find, Orange Coffee Bar is worth the drive and annoying Gwinnett traffic. The menu includes a large section of Asian desserts and favorites. The latte art is a beautiful added touch.

Must try: Green Tea Latte—sweet blend of green tea and steamed milk with an artful latte art picture and a sprinkling of almonds

7. Crema Espresso Gourmet

On the busy corner of Mt. Vernon and Jett Ferry in Dunwoody, Crema mimics a French café almost perfectly. The atmosphere is beautiful, and the assortment of breakfast foods, especially the Quiche, makes this a perfect place for a quick breakfast work meeting. Although certain times are almost impossible to get in, Crema is worth the wait. If driving from Johns Creek, avoid rush hour times, though, or you will be sitting in traffic for literal hours (probably still worth that wait too, though). Check them out here.

Must try: Crema Hot Chocolate—perfectly sweetened and not too rich; served in a tall glass like a milkshake with beautiful chocolate/steamed milk art on top

8. Sweetapple Coffee and Donuts

Although I’ve tried to keep this list to mainly coffee places, this small gem off of McGinnis Ferry offers a wide variety of coffee drinks in addition to their huge display cabinets of donuts and other gems. The family that owns this place is beyond kind and has remembered my family ever since the very first time that we visited. Everything about this place is local, cute and sweet. Visit online here.

Must try: Vanilla Iced Coffee—their hot coffee isn’t bad, but it is even better iced, even in the wintertime. The added shot of vanilla only enhances the coffee taste while also giving it a splash of sweet

9. Scooter’s Coffee

Located in Roswell, the first location of a Nebraska-based chain has gathered a huge following of dedicated fans. It is very chill for students and working business owners alike, and the staff is good about remembering regulars. The cookies are amazing, and the location is easily accessible. Although Crossville Highway is a bit of a hike, it is definitely worth the drive, and all who visit hope that more franchises will open soon! Visit here.

Must try: Iced Peppermint Mocha—a perfect blend of espresso, chocolate and peppermint, chilled to perfection

10. Mugs on Milton

Located cutely in downtown Alpharetta, Mugs on Milton offers a variety of cute coffee drinks and simple breakfast foods like scones and quiche. Coffee is from THRIVE, which allows farmers to make much more off of their own products, and there are many areas to sit and work. The staff is cute, and all options available are delicious. Visit them here.

Must try: Latte – a traditional favorite, but very well done here; not too much foam but definitely some, and latte art adds a beautiful touch