10 Mental Health Recovery Anthems

10 Mental Health Recovery Anthems

10 songs to help you keep on your road to recovery

2235

Recovering from and maintaining a safe life with a mental illness is a long road. Some days that road is especially hard and on those days one of my biggest coping skills is music. In no particular order here are 10 songs that double as recovery anthems.

1. Beautiful Pain by Eminem

This song is a little different than many other Eminem songs in that it isn't full of cursing and I would be fine letting kids listen to it. It reminds us that although recovery can be painful it's a beautiful kind of pain and it is worth it.

2. Keep Holding On by Avril Lavigne

I sure most people reading this have heard this one but it still makes the list. I remember listening to this one in my teen years to keep me going and it's still on my recovery playlist today! Of all the Avril songs of my youth, this one stuck with me the most.

3. Never Too Late by Three Days Grace

If you're into 3DG this is one I highly recommend adding to your playlist. This song reminds us that no matter how many time you have fallen you can get back up again and it is never too late to do that. Even if your biggest accomplishment that day is staying alive, it's not too late.

4. Who You Are by Jessie J

Sometimes, especially when people are watching, we feel like we need to wear a happy face for everyone. This song reminds us that it's okay not to be okay sometimes and we don't always have to fake a smile for other people. It's okay to let people know when you are struggling and ask for help.

5. Unwell by Matchbox Twenty

Mental illness isn't always just depression or anxiety, sometimes it's, for example, the voices that come with Schizophrenia, the compulsions that come with OCD or the flashbacks that come with PTSD. This song talks to those who have symptoms that may lead people around them to judge them. It says that these symptoms aren't a scary thing but just part of an illness and they can be managed. It also helps deter some of the stigma.

6. Last Hope by Paramore

Sometimes it can be very frustrating when recovery and therapy work is not going the way we want it to. Working to better one's mental health can be a long and bumpy road. This song reminds us that sometimes you just have to work and keep trying and you will get there. Recovery doesn't mean you are symptom-free, it means you find safe and effective ways to deal with your symptoms.

7.Lullaby by Nickelback

This song just happened to come on a while back when I was having a rough day and it helped me stay strong. It really does remind me that I am not alone in this fight and neither are you!

8. Just Keep Breathing by We The Kings

Sometimes it's okay to just take a break and take care of yourself. Self-care is one of the most important things that people do but having a mental illness can make it ten times harder to get these simple tasks, especially when you have work or school breathing down your neck. So remember every once in a while to take a break and do you need to keep yourself going, And just keep breathing.

9. Move Along by The All-American Rejects

Recovery doesn't mean you have to be doing better all the time. You are allowed to have your bad days. Sometimes all you can do is keep strong and that's okay. Don't let a bad day drag you down, just keep moving along.

10. Throne by Bring Me The Horizon

Sometimes it's our mental illness that lies to us and hurts us, sometimes its people; A lot of the time it's both. Whatever it is that has got you feeling not so great at the moment this song will get you hyped about continuing your recovery and not giving up. This song is also a pretty good introduction song for those who don't listen to BMTH.