10 Lesser-Known Musical Artists You Need To Check Out

Are you dying for new music to listen to? I can help you.

14877
SXSW

Like just about everyone else in the world, I absolutely love music and am constantly looking for new artists and songs to listen to. I have been told that I have good taste in music, and I will listen to just about any genre of music. I know I appreciate getting suggestions for songs and artists to listen to, so I'm passing on 10 under-the-radar bands and artists who I think should be more well-known than they are.

1. AJR.

I had never heard of this trio of brothers from New York until they opened for Ingrid Michaelson at her concert, and let me tell ya: they are SO GOOD live. I wasn't expecting much since I'd never heard of them, but I promise you won't regret looking them up. They have a very eclectic style, borrowing from multiple musical genres/feels and creating a unique sound. They mix beats but also have sounds like the ukulele and piano along with intriguing lyrics, so it's different than anything you've heard.

Genre: Indie-alternative

Stand out tracks: "I'm Not Famous", "Come Hang Out", "Infinity"

2. Joseph.

I discovered the magic that these three sisters can create when looking for new artists on Apple Music one day. Their album, "I'm Alone, No You're Not" had just come out, and it's very calming and beautiful music. Their harmonies, soothing vocal tones, and honest lyrics set them apart from other bands. However, all of their songs are catchy, so you could call them slow jams. Their whole album is great, please go listen.

Genre: Indie-alternative

Stand out tracks: "White Flag", "SOS (Overboard)", "Sweet Dreams"

3. Hey Violet.

This is a punk-pop band that I first heard while seeing 5 Seconds of Summer live, and while I originally didn't know if I liked them, I have come to learn that they're super talented and fun. Their songs have really good beats and can easily be danced to, and they make statements with their lyrics (especially in "Fuqboi").

Genre: Punk pop

Stand out tracks: "Brand New Moves", "Fuqboi"

4. Love & The Outcome.

I was introduced to this duo because they will be performing at my college for Faith Fest 2016! Love & The Outcome is a Christian band made up of a husband and wife, who use sounds that are reminiscent of '90s pop. They have a fresh take on singing about God and they are one of my favorite Christian bands because they make Christian music cool. Don't get me wrong--Christian music is wonderful, but sometimes it can feel a little cheesy or have an old-fashioned sound that turns me away. I appreciate the updated feel of this music, and that they praise God through it. Oh, and they have an adorable baby named Milo

Genre: Christian

Stand out tracks: "The God I Know", "Galaxies", "If I Don't Have You"

5. Frankie.

The first time I heard this Los Angeles singer-songwriter's music, I was hooked. She adds a quirk to pop music that I really appreciate and brings back feels of the '90s. Her voice is recognizable and very sweet. It's kind of like listening to candy. I know that sounds really dumb, but you should look her up anyway.

Genre: Throwback Pop

Stand out tracks: "New Obsession", "Chaos"

6. The Griswolds.

When someone suggested this band to me, I was weirded out because of their name. But once I listened to their album "Be Impressive" I never looked back. They're from Australia, they're edgy, and their music is catchy. Chris Whitehall's voice is just as amazing live. You'll be jamming to their songs all night and day if you take my advice and go look them up.

Genre: Alternative

Stand out tracks: "Beware the Dog", "Right On Track", "16 Years"

7. BØRNS.

This Michigan native's music is unlike anything I've ever heard. His music is hard to describe, but it's alternative and he has this beautiful voice that can go super high. It almost has this electric sound, and it sounds like it's from a different time (in the best way). I guarantee you'll be singing along to all of his songs by the end of the day.

Genre: Electro-alternative

Stand out tracks: "Electric Love", "Seeing Stars", "Past Lives"

8. Sabrina Carpenter.

This girl was originally on a Disney Channel show, so I was unsure what to expect when I listened to her music for the first time. I feel like every Disney channel star tries to be a singer and they all end up sounding the same. However, I was really impressed with her. She has a beautiful range, and her voice is silky and smooth. The wordplay in her song "Thumbs" caught me off-guard because it's really freaking cool.

Genre: Basic Pop

Stand out tracks: "Thumbs", "Run And Hide"

9. Wavves.

I rarely listen to music like the music of Wavves, but I am so glad I gave their album a listen. Their rock-alternative music may be different, but it's a refreshing kind of different. I am not quite sure what some of the songs are exactly about. One of their songs is called "Tarantula" but it's not about a tarantula. I don't know a lot about the band because I don't necessarily think they'd be role models,but their music is good. So listen, enjoy and have a nice "heavy metal detox."

Genre: Alternative Rock

Stand out tracks: "Heavy Metal Detox", "My Head Hurts", "Flamezsz"

10. PVRIS.

Yet another band I discovered because they opened for a bigger band...PVRIS opened for Fall Out Boy on tour and when I went back and listened to their music, my life changed. Their songs are kind of dark and have almost a haunted sound, but it's not in a way that is going to depress you. The lead singer is badass female Lyndsey Gunnulfsen (how's that for a name?) and the lyrics are deep and thought-provoking. These guys rock.

Genre: Alternative/Rock

Stand out tracks: "Ghosts", "Mirrors", "Mind Over Matter (acoustic)"