10 Easy Ways to Stick to Your New Year Resolutions

#newyearnewyou

12

Well, the calendar changed and now the true first test of the new year begins: how long can you keep a resolution?

If you're like millions of others, you've probably made one of these in years past. And if they're on your list again, here are some tips to keep you on the wagon.

10. Volunteer

Thanksgiving helps you realize all of the thing you're grateful for and Christmas blesses you with love and a new Kate Spade purse, so it's natural for you to feel a little charitable come January.

Rather than committing to a large number of give-back projects, spend a free Friday or Saturday afternoon walking dogs at your local animal shelter, volunteer as a tutor or a coach at the Boys and Girls Club, or spend a few hours making healthy meals for housebound seniors.

9. Learn Something New

If you think about it, 365 days is a lot of time to learn something. That's a lot of repetition.

Whether you've resolved to learn a new language, to run long-distance, to rock climb, or to cook, it's important to remember the small achievements in taking on something new. So, consider making a simple but new meal for your close friends or significant other and celebrate that perfect pot roast.

8. Stress Less

Let's face it: life is stressful. From traffic to work to deciding what to have for dinner, we spend a lot of time making decisions and fighting frustration. That stress can eventually build up and effect sleep, diet, and your daily activities.

Relieve some stress by getting outside - go on a hike, take a yoga class, go to a flea market. Taking a small break from your responsibilities refreshes the mind and the body and can help you feel rejuvenated.

7. Travel to New Places.

Travel is good for a person - exposure to new cultures and languages, gaining an alternative perspective, seeing different and exciting landscapes - it can build your character or help you to discover something new about yourself.

But rather than planning a huge European excursion or a backpacking trip in South America, discover new places that sit a little closer to home. Ever been to Crater Lake? Mr. Rainier? What about Canada?

Take some short trips to places close to home, you'll expand your world view and won't disappoint yourself if you don't end up spending 6 weeks backpacking through Europe or a summer in China.

6. Make a Career Move

This one hits close to home if you've recently graduated or have decided to make a career change. The days and weeks creep on and you find yourself rewriting your resume and staring at Internet job postings wondering how well you can stretch that 18 month internship into 3+ years of experience.

Keep at it. According to Forbes, 20% of all applicants to a position get an interview. And Monster.com will give you a free resume review and pointers on how you can really stand out.

5. Drink Less

If you found yourself with a gnarly hangover on New Year's Day or you've started rocking a beer gut, you've probably also considered cutting out the liquid courage. And you probably know a lot of your friends who are deep into Dry January.

If it feels like a lot of pressure to commit to 30 days with no drinks, take it one week at a time. Skip regular happy hour for sushi happy hour, or hit the gym directly after work or class. Trying to cut out the alcohol calories? Stick to lower calorie drinks like wine and clear liquors, and choose soda water or fresh squeezed juices.

4. Save dat money.

Whether you're working to pay off student loans or saving to buy a car or for a big trip, it's hard to stick to a budget, let alone set money aside for other things. So, how do you go about achieving this very adult but ever important task? Learn how to budget.

There's loads of software and apps out there that make budgeting easier and more manageable. Want to learn what you spend and what your actual financial situation is? Check out programs like YNAB (You Need a Budget) or Mint which connect with your bank accounts, track your spending and savings goals, and build monthly reports.

3. Spend More Time With Family

You can't choose your family, but you can choose when to spend time with them. And maybe it's withdrawal from the holidays, but it seems people emphasize spending more time with their nearest and dearest.

If you're family lives far away or you have a busy day-to-day schedule, it's hard to commit to seeing your parents or siblings or third cousins more often. But simple things like Skype and FaceTime can create the feeling of being closer to home. Or send updates about your life in a group message, from the major (landing a killer new job) to the mundane (making it to the gym three times this week). The daily updates and conversations can help to bring you closer together.

2. Eat Healthier

Along with number 1, this resolution is one of those that gets renewed every few months, particularly close to beach season. And you keep telling yourself how easy all of those foodie Instagrams make it look - eggs, arugula, and beets? Sounds like a healthy breakfast, am I right?

It's likely a number of people you know have chosen to be paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, or they're attempting some sort of hot sauce and maple syrup cleanse. If all of these sound like too much to wrap your head around, take some smaller steps. Go meatless a few nights a week, substitute a salad for lunch or dinner, fruits and veggies on hand as snacks, and cut the ice-cream-and-pizza binges to once a month. After a while, healthy habits will seem less like a huge hurdle to overcome and more of a lifestyle.

1. Lose Weight, Get Fit

This never fails to be at the top of the list of resolutions. Maybe it's because the holidays have ended and so has all of the rich and wonderful food or maybe it's knowing that spring is on the horizon. But every year we tell ourselves that we will finally get our booties in shape and watch our macros.

If you're gonna commit, you can't quit so don't commit to x number of days at the gym or x miles run. Browse the internet i.e. Pinterest for easy to follow circuits and plans and do them as many times a week as you can. Take a Pilates or Yoga class twice a week and actually go to the class. Take public transportation and force yourself to walk more often.

But it seems that come February, we start to make excuses and Thursday night happy hour sounds better than Thursday night cardio kickboxing. But don't give up. That cardio kickboxing will make you feel stress free better than that martini and will make you more positive long-term. By focusing on the overall benefit to your body rather than knocking off a few pounds, you'll start to view a fitness routine as a pleasant - and sweaty - past time.

New year, new you.