10 Artists Worse Than Nickelback

10 Artists Worse Than Nickelback

Because they're really not the pariah of modern music.

1241
10 Artists Worse Than Nickelback
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gDaPhkaIrSU/maxresdefault.jpg

Taking a break from your regularly scheduled programming to discuss a huge issue within our society. (Not to forget that Big Oil does not value Native American life or that Flint still does not have clean water).

Recently, a town in Canada said that if they caught someone drunk driving, they would subject them to Canada's most famous (infamous) musical act, Nickelback, as punishment.

Now, look, I am guilty of, at one time, rocking out to "All the Right Reasons" on my CD player. I even still listen to them occasionally. But since I am a grown man, kind of, I have long abandoned Nickelback as influential to me as a musician or even as a credible source of entertainment.

They're a shitty band.

But, guys, is Nickelback really that bad?

I am a heavy critic of music because I compose music and write lyrics. I know when music is thoughtful and Nickelback's songs are not. But they are far from God's punishment for the sins of man.

They are just a shitty band, and we have tons of shitty bands. However, we only really pick on Nickelback for being the worst. Chances are, you even like an artist that is actually worse than Chad Kroeger and co.

To name a few:

1. Taylor Swift

She's great! If you're an eleven-year-old girl.

For the rest of us, however, you should feel guilty for rocking out to "Shake It Off." There is no thought put into any of Taylor Swift's chord progressions or lyrics. Strange to hear a song called "22" that sounds like the antithesis of artistic maturity.

T. Swift is far worse than Nickelback since she is, for some reason, still relevant.

2. Aloe Blacc

This man's abhorred vibrato is the voice behind legendary disaster Avicii's "Wake Me Up." If his god-awful timbre is not enough to turn you off, maybe his lack of originality will. His biggest hit, "The Man," steals the melody (and lyrics!) of the Elton John classic, "Your Song." What was once Sir Elton's beautiful sonic love letter to another person became a self-indulgent, overproduced sham.

Plus, his name is Aloe. That is just dumb in of itself.

3. Pitbull

Dear lord, where do I begin?

If we're discussing artists with no originality, then no look no further than Captain Steampile, AKA Pitbull. Pitbull does not compose music. He is exclusively a rapper but not a very inventive one:

"Me not working hard?
Yeah, right! Picture that with a Kodak
Or, better yet, go to Times Square
Take a picture of me with a Kodak"

You can rhyme "Kodak" with "Kodak" and people still call that rap!

You know that one Pitbull song about clubbing it up? Of course you do because that's all his songs. He is unapologetic in his monotony.

4. DJ Mustard

"DJ Mustard on the beat, hoe!"

That's the signature this joke leaves at the beginning of all his "productions," which also have nearly the exact same beat each time. If you hear a rap hit, though, chances are good that this "producer" made it. The fact that we as a society have allowed him to be successful is far worse than singing along to "Photograph" when it comes on the radio.

5. Justin Bieber

So when you hit puberty in your 20's, you finally mature as an artist as well, correct? Much like T. Swift, Justin Bieber has proven otherwise.

His balls have dropped, but so has his vocal range, making his popularity exclusively attributed to nostalgia for the adorable Disney star that everyone (pre-teen girls) fell in love with.

The songs on his new album have a very similar sound, the same sound, because they are almost completely the same.

He's the poster child of everything that's wrong with the image-driven pop music scene. He's popular because he's pretty.

6. Maroon 5

Adam Levine is also all about the looks.

There were days when he and whoever else is in this band wrote decent, credible music, but that is the past. Gone are the glory days the band had with "Songs About Jane." What is left is this washed-up, generic bubblegum pop lacking any melody.

7. Panic At the Disco

Eons ago, Panic also had some decently innovative material, but it seems like ever since they dropped the "!," they also dropped that originality. It doesn't help that all the original band members left (or were removed) so we got Brendon Urie's solo work. Maybe if his high notes weren't equivalent to the wail of an old woman stubbing her toe, we'd actually still find something about his music to enjoy.

8. Fetty Wap

Is he supposed to be a singer or a rapper? I'm, to this day, not sure, but he is disgraceful at both.

9. Kid Rock

The thing that people most associate with Kid Rock is Detroit, and as a Southeast Michigan native, this bothers me. Detroit music does not sound like Kid Rock. It sounds like Eminem, The White Stripes and oh, I don't know, Motown?

People also praise Kid for his diverse sound, diving into rap, rock and sometimes country. They, however, overlook the fact that he is absolutely terrible at all of it.

His biggest hit is a direct rip-off of "Sweet Home Alabama," which is an indirect rip-off of "Werewolves of London." Tune into 100.3 WNIC in Detroit, and you will hear "All Summer Long" once a day, even in the dead of winter! Nothing I'd love to hear more on Blue Monday than how Kid Rock rhymes "different things" with "funny things."

10. Florida Georgia Line

What could be better than heavily exaggerated Southern drawls over guitar? Auto-tune it! This band is the epitome of everything that's ever gone wrong in music.

If the machine from "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" was real, I would use it to tear FGL's hit, "Cruise," from the deep recesses of my hippocampus.

I'm not asking you guys to like Nickelback. I'm just asking you to give hate where hate is due, because picking on Nickelback exclusively is unjust.