Zoom University: What going to school from home looks like for me

I hadn't planned to spend my sophomore year at home, but with everything going on in the world regarding the pandemic, I'm trying to make the most of my school from home situation

22

For many college students, this year is looking a little odd. We all thought that this "thing" would blow over by summer but it seems like it's here to stay for quite some time.

Whether you chose to move back to campus or stayed home like me, I think we can all relate to this article and maybe you could use my advice too.

This situation sucks. There is no other way of putting it and if you kept up with my mental health series, I think that we have all grown numb and forgot to have actual feelings during the process. I definitely have. During the days of the lockdown, I felt like a robot with no purpose. I would sleep in until 12 almost every day. The month of June was actually nice because I had a summer class. After my class ended, the same robotic feeling came over me again. I didn't even clean my room! It was bad. It felt like I was going through a breakup even though I was in a perfectly happy relationship.

I had this fear inside of me that if I were to stay home for the fall semester, the same robotic feeling would come back to haunt me again. I decided that enough was enough and tried to do something about it.

So here is a list of ways I am trying to make the most of my time at Zoom Uni- I mean ASU from home.

Make your bed everyday!

Photo by: Autriya Maneshni

I know it might seem like it doesn't matter, but trust me when I say this first step has been the main reason why I have a functioning life. Making my bed has always been a thing I make sure to do, no matter what mood I am. If I don't make my bed in the morning, it's going to feel like my day hasn't even started. It also just makes your room look nice. If you aren't the make-your-bed type of person, I think you should start! It really is worth it in the long run. If you do this every morning right after you get up, I promise that you feel more motivated to do things. An unmade bed to me is an invitation to just go back to sleep.

Change up your desk space.

Photo by: Autriya maneshni

This is my own desk space and I just wanted to show you that it doesn't have to be something crazy. What I did was just clean my desk and put a picture frame on it. I also have this very cute Snoopy calendar that I always neglected to change the dates on. Changing the dates on that calendar is the first thing I do when I sit down at my desk I read in an article that if you have a picture on your desk, whether it's of you and your significant other, your dog, your family, or even yourself, it will help you feel more motivated to work. I know it sounds crazy, but I fully believe in that. There have been so many times where I stare off into space and my eyes land on the picture of my boyfriend and I and I think about wanting to achieve all my tasks to tell him later and celebrate. It's kind of very cliche, but I also think it could be a motivation booster if you have a picture of someone you love on your desk.

Clean up around your workspace!

Photo by: Autriya Maneshni

I have a bookshelf right next to my desk and I've always treated it as a place to dump all of the unnecessary things that are on my desk. It was a really bad habit that stuck with all through out high school. I actually loved having this bookshelf in my room when I first got it, but as time went by, I couldn't even tell that it was a bookshelf anymore. Over the summer, I cleaned all the shelves and dedicated specific purposes to each shelf. The second shelf is my favorite because I have on there a bunch of items that make me smile when I look at them. It's a mix of memorable things that I've done and some vision board type items too. If you have the space to do something like that, I high recommend it. It's just nice to look at the little things when life gets you down.

Splurge on a planner and pens.

Photo by: Autriya Maneshni

I don't know about you, but I get so excited to buy new pens and school supplies. Some people call me crazy for it but I think it's important to feel happy when you are dealing with school and deadlines. I've always wanted to buy those pens in the picture but 1. They were a little too expensive. 2. I just thought I had enough pens already. If you are having the same dilemma in your head about whether or not to splurge a little on your supplies, I think that this year would be the perfect year to do so. You don't have much to look forward to this year (let's be honest), so why not feel a little excited about buying the new pens you've always wanted?

I hope my pictures and advice inspired you guys to try to make the most of this year as well. It was very hard to get a housing exemption, email all my professors that I wouldn't be coming into class, and see most of my friends go back to campus. Do I regret staying at home? I wouldn't say so. It definitely had its downs, but it also has its perks. It also just made things a little easier for me mental health-wise. Now, I do admit I felt a lot of FOMO to see everyone posting pictures in their new places and I did cry about it. A lot. But that's okay! School is going to keep us so busy this year and feeling FOMO will be the last thing on our plates.