Zika In The US: What You Need To Know

Zika In The US: What You Need To Know

The Zika virus is here in the U.S.

10
Zika In The US: What You Need To Know

The Zika virus has spread overseas and is now carried by mosquitoes in the United States. There has been four confirmed cases of the Zika virus in Florida. One woman and three men have contracted the virus. Mosquitoes in Florida are now being collected and tested for Zika. However, none of them have tested positive thus far. Here's what you need to know about the Zika virus:

1. How is the virus transmitted?

The Zika virus is transmitted by mosquitoes that carry the virus. It is also transmitted through sex with an infected person. The virus is also transmitted from an infected pregnant woman to their fetus.

2. What are the symptoms?

People who are infected with the Zika virus may experience a fever, rash, joint pain and redness in the whites of their eyes. However, not everyone infected with the Zika will experience these symptoms. Most of them won't have any symptoms at all.

3. How does the Zika virus impact pregnant women?

Zika causes microcephaly in babies born to an infected pregnant woman. Microcephaly is a neurological condition in which an infant's head is significantly smaller than the heads of other children. This can cause fatal brain damage to the child. The virus can also cause a miscarriage or lead to a stillbirth.

4. Can the Zika virus impact a future pregnancy?

If a woman who is not pregnant contracts the Zika virus, it will not pose a risk for birth defects in a future pregnancy as long as the virus has cleared from her blood. Furthermore, once a person is infected with the Zika virus, it is likely that they will be protected from being infected again in the future. Therefore, if you are infected and the virus clears from your blood, you will probably be protected in the future so you don't have to worry about getting infected again during a future pregnancy.

5. How is the virus treated?

The Zika virus can be treated with over-the-counter medication. This will help to relieve the symptoms. There is currently no vaccine that protects people from the Zika virus.

6. How long does the virus last?

The virus can last a few days to a week. The body clears the infection about two weeks after symptoms begin to appear.

7. How can you protect yourself from the virus?

Since there is no current vaccine to protect people from contracting the Zika virus, it's important to take other measures. The virus is spread through aggressive mosquitoes that are usually indoors. You can protect yourself by wearing long sleeves and long pants especially when you're in areas that have been affected by the virus. In addition, you can protect yourself from the Zika virus by simply using mosquito repellent throughout the day. You won't know which mosquitoes carry the virus and which ones don't. Therefore, it's important to protect yourself from all mosquitoes.