Yours, Frau

Yours, Frau

A letter to a woman who inspired many.

10
Yours, Frau
Olivia Higdon

Frau,

This letter is hard to write to you, because I miss you every day more and more. I don't even know where to begin, what to say or how to say it, but thank you. Thank you for teaching me about a foreign language and the culture of the country that was almost as beautiful as your smile. Thank you for not only teaching me valuable lessons through the German culture, but valuable lessons in every day living. I am forever thankful for your kind words and your kind heart that brought so much joy and happiness to your students' lives.

I will never forget all of your jokes and all of the laughs you shared with us, or the way your smile lit up an entire room. I will never forget how soft your hugs were, and how gentle your mind was. I could never forget how strong you were in your last few months of life, and how shortly your life was taken from you. When my dad gave me the news, I remember driving for a while and crying. I had never felt so hollow when I got the news of your death.

What a harsh word: death. You don't deserve such a harsh term. You were elegant, graceful, peaceful. You were beautiful in so many ways that I aspire to be like you through my life. When I was going through my roughest of times, you were always there for me, even when you were struggling yourself. You inspired so many people, and still inspire so many people to this day.

It's been almost two years since your death, and I couldn't miss your presence more. Every time the sun comes up, creating an orange, pink and red masterpiece, I think of you. Every time the sun sets, with red and purple undertones, I think of you. The day of your passing was rainy, foggy and groggy outside. When I went driving, the sky cleared and all I could feel was your presence around me, comforting me during one of the hardest times in my life. Your death still haunts me, reminding me how short my life could actually be.

I remember receiving the letter you sent me while I was a freshmen in college, and how excited I was to get real mail. How excited I was to hear from you, and how exciting it was to know you still thought about me. I keep your letter by my bedside table at school to remind me to keep strong for you, and to grow each and every day knowing that your love radiates around me. Recently, I even got a tattoo with your handwriting saying "yours, Frau" (hence the title of this letter).

So all in all, thank you. Thank you for showing me the beauty that is life, and the beauty the comes from struggling. Thank you for showing me how it feels to love and lose. Thank you for showing me what life is really all about.

Yours, Fräulein.