Your Self-Worth Is More

Your Self-Worth Is More

You cannot rely on others for your own self-worth and happiness.

21
Your Self-Worth Is More
Kaylee Nungaray

What happened to the people of today? Why is it that in today’s society, a person's self-worth depends on another’s affection toward them? We often find ourselves relying on others to give us worth and feed our happiness day in and day out.

This concept in which most people will find themselves living their life on many days is called, co-dependency. The dictionary describes this as excessive emotional reliance on someone else.

This is a terrible way to live. Especially today. This world is full of so many “temporaries.” People are too dependent on others for self-worth and it kills me to see this in action on a daily basis. Other’s feelings, opinions and thoughts are temporary and change quite frequently. Nothing ever goes well when we put that much emotional need into someone else’s hands. Because truth be told, at some point in life everyone is going to experience the feeling of being abandoned by another person. Relationships, friendships, every sort of tie you have to someone can result in hurt. So when we live for other’s and find our worth in them, often times things will end in damage.

Relationships where this occurs a lot of times will only conclude with a temporary happiness and end with much hurt and heart ache. When we find ourselves putting in so much effort to please other’s and get some sort of worth from them, we find ourselves not truly being happy. Or if the relationship with the other where to end, we don’t know how to go on about life and feel as though we are worthless. This can be partly because of the fact we look to others for our worth.

Self-worth comes from you. You cannot rely on others for your own self-worth and happiness. But unfortunately this happens way too much. We often put our worth into the hands of a guy who we think we love, or the friend who ends up ditching us for him anyways.

Instead we have to find a way to find this worth within ourselves. When you feel all alone, you have to realize you are worth more. You are more than the hurt that the other has put you through; more than that guy who you claim has your love or the feeling of betrayal from a friend. You are worth more.

Feeling alone sucks, believe me. I wouldn’t be writing this right now if I hadn’t felt it myself. But in today’s world, we have to stop feeling this way. We need to start loving ourselves a bit more and realizing just how much we are worth.

You need to love yourself the way you think others are loving for you.

There will always be the person who will pick time with him over you. The one who will bail or say they “forgot.” But that doesn’t make you any less worthy or great. You are worth more than they’re approval. You are worth more than their excuse. You are most definitely worth more than you think right now.

Start now and begin to understand that your self-worth begins with you. Live your life, loving yourself and knowing you are truly wonderful. You are worth more than you can ever imagine.

So don’t let life’s temporary troubles get in the way of how you view yourself. All those temporaries don’t matter when it comes to your true happiness.