Your Offense, Offends Me

Your Offense, Offends Me

Actually not really. You see we can't bubble wrap the world.

311
Your Offense, Offends Me

First of all, I would just like to say that I understand there are cases in which taking offense is warranted but I believe recently it has gotten out of hand. I swear within any given conversation I have, someone gets offended by something that's said. It could be about something as irrelevant as nail polish color preferences and before I can even blink, someone mutters the words, "I'm offended".

Why?Does Becky liking to paint her fingernails only more feminine colors offend you in some way? Are you offended because she described her color choices as more feminine? Or maybe it's because you don't like that she dared to gender nail polish colors in the first place? And yes, this is really a conversation I had to sit through. So, whatever the problem may be it only goes to show that we just have too much to be offended about, but that's a whole other story. I don't care that my opinion on this issue may not be the most politically correct, I just feel that it needs to be said.

When I used to hear my parents spew about how millennials are the "snowflake generation," I would roll my eyes and try to tune them out. I've come to realize that, while annoying, what they had to say actually had some merit.You can't bubble wrap the world. While it's a nice thought, it's not feasible. Our parents and grandparents grew up in a time of "sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me", while we're growing up with micro and macro aggressions and cultural appropriation. If we're not careful today's attempts at inclusion and sensitivity may morph into outright oppression and intolerance in our children's generation. I want to make something very clear, it is impossible to live life without offending someone. Nowadays we nit pick every word that escapes a person's lips and decide whether it's politically correct or not. We try to hide ourselves from certain words and jokes because we have this delusion that it will somehow make it go away. It's ignorant to try to dictate what's okay to say and what's not, because legally it's all fair game.

We try to make safe spaces to box ourselves in an imaginary world where everyone constructs every statement perfectly so it can never be perceived as offensive to anyone. Are you actually kidding me? Neither do I have the time for that nor do I wish to kid myself into thinking that the world will ever be "offense free". It's like people are forcing themselves to be offended at everything.

I think people forget that it's freedom of religion and freedom of speech not freedom from religion or speech. You don't get to silence someone's opinions because you don't like them. How about instead of standing there and ranting about how offended you are, you just leave. Also, I would much rather know who I am dealing with as people tend to reveal who they are through their beliefs and speech. If you suppress expression, you do not eliminate the thoughts you simply disguise them.

Not all conversation is not about your feelings. Usually it's about expressing ideas and getting a point across. If we conversed while keeping in mind how everyone around us might possibly feel then nothing would ever get said. And if it is about emotions then someone is allowed to say something "offensive" whether they're angry or upset just as much as you're allowed to get so offended that it hurt your feelings. Also, maybe we get offended so much because we take everything so personally. Just in case you didn't know, the world doesn't revolve around you. So when I quickly remark about not liking the new Wonder Woman movie, it's not an open invitation for every Wonder Woman fan in the vicinity to stomp on my opinion.

Unlike many people I don't craft my movie preferences around pop-culture and ongoing movements. Sorry to shock y'all but me not liking Wonder Women has nothing to do with my stance on women's rights or female empowerment. Last time I checked I'm an independent female who can decide whether she enjoyed a movie she watched or not. That's the whole point of an opinion - they're personal and they don't have to be in agreement with yours. Anyways, do you have some vested interest in how well DC Comics does at the box office? I really don't think so.

I want to reiterate that there are topics that are completely inappropriate to throw into the wind or bring up into casual conversation, especially when done in a not so delicate manner. Besides that, sometimes a joke is just a joke and a costume is just a costume. I honestly don't think that most people set out to offend other people. If someone does do it to get a rise out of you or to offend a certain group of people, it just serves as an example of how much of an asshole they are, and even more of a reason of why you shouldn't entertain them by getting upset.

I know this innocuous article is probably going to offend someone and in that case, I'm not offended that you're offended, but I do think you should suck it up and be on your way.

innocuous (adj.) : "not likely to give offense or to arouse strong feelings or hostility"