Your Mental Health Matters.

Your Mental Health Matters.

“You are the one thing in this world, above all other things, that you must never give up on. When I was in middle school, I was struggling with severe anxiety and depression and the help and support I received from my family and a therapist saved my life. Asking for help is the first step. You are more precious to this world than you’ll ever know.”— Lili Rhinehart

901
Your Mental Health Matters.

This is a response to 5 Ways You Can Feel Better On Your Hardest Days.

Mental Health Matters. Although we know so much more about mental health today, there is still a sense of shame and stigma attached to dealing with mental health issues. There are many ways dedicated to removing this stigma and promoting help to those who need it the most.

Many people avoid seeking help for their mental health due to a perception that makes them seem weak or selfish for asking. This idea often causes those who are struggling to face problems within their daily life, which later leads to isolating themselves from others, and eventually themselves.

Social isolation can greatly affect someone’s mental stability. Seeking assistants even though it is extremely difficult to do so, may encourage someone, and even yourself, to seek guidance.

The thought that mental illness is somehow a personal failure holds back a lot of individuals from seeking the help they deserve. But what many individuals may not be aware of is, mental health issues are similar to physical health issues. Just like you wouldn’t tell somebody to “get over” a broken arm, you especially can’t tell somebody struggling with mental health issues to just “get over” the symptoms they experience.

For example, I’ve heard some people say, “stop acting like you have depression”, or “you should smile more you look so depressed”. People who say hurtful words like this don’t understand that mental health issues such as depression, can not be turned off and on like a light switch. We as a society should understand that illness is not a choice for anyone.

Everyone can suffer from mental illness, regardless of their social status. Even people who feel like they have everything they could want in life can still find themselves feeling depressed, anxious, paranoid, or unfulfilled. Mental illness doesn’t care about a person’s status in society or how wealthy they are. It is a struggle that anyone can face at any point in their lifetime.

Mental health is something you have to maintain on a regular basis. That includes doing self-care activities that make you feel and act like yourself. Taking a mental health day when you need it is an important part of this process. A mental health day is a day you take off from your busy life to focus on you and only you, and engage in activities that help relieve stress and give you a feeling of being centered.

Although, taking a mental health day and engaging in self-care isn’t always enough to help someone feel healthy again. Just like any other illness, there’s a lot you can do yourself, but sometimes professional treatment is needed, and that is always okay.

It is very likely that somebody you know is dealing with mental health issues that you may not be aware of. The most happiest person you may know could have mental health issues like depression, but just conceals it with laughter and smiles. This is why it is so crucial to be kind to everyone all the time— you never know what someone is going through.

I hope you get inspired to think about others and your own mental wellbeing, and to always make sure your mental health is taken well care of :)