Your Major Is Only A Minor Decision

Your Major Is Only A Minor Decision

Your major does not define you.

16
Your Major Is Only A Minor Decision
Asergeev

When I was in high school, I was confused at how college students could be undecided about their choice of major. I didn’t understand how people could pay thousands of dollars to switch their career plans multiple times and still continue to be uncertain. I just knew that when I entered college, I would have everything figured out, stick to one major, and graduate in four years with zero doubts or hesitations about my degree.

I quickly discovered how ignorant my mindset was.

I’ve barely been in college for two months now, and about half of my friends have already switched their major or degree plan. And I’ve realized that that is perfectly okay. Although I am currently happy with my choice of major, being enrolled in college classes has made me realize how many options there are regarding one’s choice of study.

One funny thing I’ve always had a problem with is narrowing down my long list of interests. I’ve always had a passion for writing, but I also love the idea of helping people in the medical field. Social justice and law intrigue me, but I’ve recently wanted to learn more about religion and how it impacts society. I’ve realized college is not only about learning about one certain field of study. It’s about learning about the multidisciplinary aspects of different fields and learning about subjects from different perspectives. College allows you to discover what truly interests you, and taking different classes can help you find out what you’re truly passionate about.

Courses in high school merely touch upon different subjects and graze along the main ideas in each field. College classes allow you to plunge deep into topics of importance, even in classes that do not pertain to your major. Some classes can cause you to rethink how you look at the world and your lifestyle. It only takes a few words from a single professor to change your entire outlook on life. This is why I’ve learned how important it is to keep an open mind and not become too latched to one major.

In today’s society, too many students are studying certain majors simply because they assume that it will allow them to become successful and wealthy later in life. Of course, everyone wants to become successful, and no one wants to struggle to feed their families or themselves. However, it is important to step back from the situation and reevaluate the definition of “success.” During my weeks of college thus far, I discovered success isn’t accessed based on how many dollar signs follow your profession; it’s about waking up each morning knowing that your job sparks a fire like no other in your heart. My mom is a public school teacher, and she is my inspiration for following my heart. She obviously doesn’t teach for the pay. She teaches because she loves her profession and truly wants to instill an education in her students.

My mother has always told me that my major was always my choice. She assured me on the day of moving into my dorm that whatever I was passionate about, she would stand behind my decision. I am so happy Baylor has so many options that lead to so many connections after graduation. As a freshman, I am simply enjoying taking in all of the information that I can. I am absorbing all of the new experiences that college has to offer, and I am searching to see which classes spark my interest. I am content with my major right now, but if I decide next semester or next year that God has another path for my life, I will switch my degree plan without hesitation. I am not stressing out about forcing myself to plan out what I’m doing for the rest of my life. I’m only eighteen-years-young, and I have my entire future ahead of me. I plan to stay focused and succeed in my classes that I’m taking in the moment, and in time, God will show me what I am truly meant to accomplish.

My college major is not a major stress in my life. Right now, I am simply learning for the pleasure of learning.