A Young Woman's (Semi-Harsh) Opinion On International Women's Day
Politics

I just don't get it, you shouldn't need a specific date to appreciate being a woman.

62

Before I write this, let me start off by saying I do understand that there are people out there who celebrate and appreciate International Women’s Day, and I respect them and their opinions, but mine is just different.

On March 8th, women across the globe celebrated International Women’s Day. On March 8th, I carried on with my day as if it were any other.

On March 8th, I called my mom, as I would every other day, and I told her that I didn’t see the point of all the Women’s Day hype. My mom agreed and she said something along the lines of “Me either. Being that we live in a house with four girls and one boy, we celebrate Women’s Day every day.” I couldn’t agree with her opinion more.

I’ve been alive for nineteen years, and in these nineteen years, a day hasn’t gone by that I haven’t appreciated being a woman. Having four sisters, I grew up surrounded by women… No offense to my dad or anything, but we definitely ruled the roost (and we still do). In my house, we laugh, we cry, we and we argue. We’re full of hormones, emotions, and estrogen. You can find hair, bobby-pins, and bras everywhere. My family openly talks about periods, boys, and bowel movements… (and you seriously don’t want to know what we talk about at the dinner table).

When I left for college in August, I assumed that it would be the same way living with a bunch of girls, and it honestly is. I always thought that living in my house was like a constant celebration of being a woman, but when I got to college, the celebration got even bigger. My hall is full of girls that are always doing odd things, being loud, and just having a good time together.

The point that I’m trying to make is that I don’t need a certain date to celebrate being a woman, because I celebrate every single day. In my opinion, every gender should be appreciated and celebrated every single day, because why not? Nobody gets excited for International Men’s Day, so I don’t get why everyone needs to make International Women’s Day a big deal. I saw a bunch of people posting pictures of their favorite women, but why not post a picture of your favorite woman on any given Tuesday? I know it doesn’t essentially matter, but my advice to anyone reading this, is to love yourself and your gender on any given day… Not just on some made up holiday.

March 8th means nothing to me, but being a woman means everything to me.