Women, Claiming You Are Against Feminism Isn't Impressing Anyone
Politics

The opposition of feminism is a misinformed opinion.

275

Many people have been speaking on behalf of the feminist movement recently. Plenty of the same people have been expressing disapproval, doubt and opposition to feminism.

Although I am all about sharing opinions and believe that everyone has the right to share their beliefs — my belief is that if you're a woman opposing feminism you are either misinformed, trying to impress someone or just hate the culture of being a woman... and you should not be any of these things.

To begin, I'll explain the feminism movement and clear the air of some of the common misconceptions that people associate with it.

Feminism is not a movement about hating or demonizing men. Feminism is not a movement claiming that women are superior to men.

Feminism is not just for women and not just for the women who happen to like women either. Feminism is a movement that advocates for equal rights on the grounds of political, social and economic issues.

Feminism IS a movement that advocates for equal rights on the grounds of political, social and economic issues.

Feminism is a movement that is inclusive of all genders and people who are rooting for equality. Feminism insists we push for change toward gender equality. Feminism advocates for expanding human choice and breaking stereotypes if someone chooses to.

Feminism is a movement that wants to eliminate gender stratification and gender norms. Feminism is a campaign that wants to aid in ending sexual violence and promoting sexual freedom.

The goals of the feminist movement are to get women and men equal rights under the law and have women receive equal stature in society.

Now, if you are reading all of this then you must have noticed that through my description of feminism, there is no prejudice or hate within this group.

The goal isn't to hate men. The goal isn't to hate other women. The goal isn't to judge each other based on values, beliefs, skin color or orientation, but rather, to encourage all people to live equally under the law and to be taken seriously.

Women who claim they "don't need feminism" or would rather "raise a home than a protest sign," more power to you!

Keep in mind, however, that's what feminism is about.

You are open to your own beliefs and values but there is no need to put feminism movement down while doing so.

It has occurred to me that most of the time, women don't actually hate feminism, they are actually just not receiving the right information about it. I have seen women explain how they want equal rights but deny being a feminist in fear that the men they are interested in are going to be turned off by it or that other people will judge them for their beliefs.

Women who want equality and stature in society should be in favor of this movement, regardless of how it will make them "look."

If someone doesn't want to be your friend or significant other based on the movements you are supportive of, they don't deserve to be in your life anyways.

Why try to impress mediocre men or ill-informed friends you are interested in by claiming you are against something you are actually in support of? It doesn't make you "different." It doesn't make you "one of the guys."

Be proud of your values!

Ladies and gentleman, I encourage you all to rethink your support for the feminist movement. We all want the same rights and opportunities in life- and that is what it truly means to be a feminist (despite common beliefs.)