Take Care Of Yourself And Remember It Is Okay To Say 'No'

Don't give up your happiness for someone who is not worth it.

93
https://unsplash.com/photos/hnZUNpZapMg

No, this is not an article on consent, although consent is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. This is an article on saying no to more subtle things in life, like not continuing to be in a school club, or saying no to hanging out with that friend you know is toxic.

I am a people pleaser, always have been. I have always felt like it was my job to make sure everyone around me was happy, even if it meant sacrificing my happiness. Through the years, I have learned that this mindset is not healthy at all.

Letting people get what they want constantly and allowing others to walk all over you destroys you inside, even if you don't realize it. I have been put in many situations where I have felt like the Twitter meme of Drake's tweet, "What am I gonna do? Say no?" I have not known what else to do besides say yes.

Sometimes people ask things in ways that make you feel like you can't say no, because you'll come off as rude or irrational, but you don't owe it to anyone to be complacent all the time. If you are not comfortable with a situation, stand your ground and say it.

A lot of people will say that quitting is something you should never do. I disagree with this wholeheartedly. I believe that at some point in our lives, we are faced with a choice, to continue doing something or to leave. If we are unhappy with where we are and what we are doing, it is okay to put that thing to an end. It is okay to say no to continuing to be in that club or work that job. If you can find something else that can make you happy and you are only staying in the situation out of fear of being called a quitter, please leave.

You have one life. Do not waste it away doing what others think you should be doing or pleasing everyone by saying yes all the time.

If you have a friend who is toxic, get them out of your life. Don't keep saying yes to everything they ask of you just because you don't want to upset anyone.

I have learned that in life we have to upset people sometimes, otherwise, we would never be looking out for ourselves. In no way am I saying to be inconsiderate of people's feelings, but I am saying to please be considerate of yours.

It is far too easy to worry about others more than you worry about yourself. It is a slippery slope once you have lost the ability to say no when you are uncomfortable with a situation. Even if you have lost it, it can be found, and it is something you must find in order to be happier.