Why Loving Yourself First Is The Most Important Thing

You don't owe anyone anything; know your self-worth

1954
Larisa Birta // Unsplash

When you know your worth, no one can make you feel worthless.

It’s hard to walk away from someone whose been in your life forever, but if that person isn’t being someone that treats you with respect or makes an effort in your friendship or relationship, then it’s time to say goodbye. The moment you feel like you have to prove your worth to someone is the moment you leave. It will be hard at first, but day by day, you will start to feel better. You owe it to yourself to accept people into your life who make an effort to stay. Sometimes you need to walk away. Not to make someone else realize how worthy you are, but for you to understand and acknowledge your own self-worth. Although there will be days when you look back at pictures and videos that once were reality to you in the good times, but that’s all they are -- memories.

Over and over again in my life I felt like I was doing something wrong when it came to relationships and even friendships. I was letting people treat me like I wasn’t important or worth anything. One common denominator in each scenario and situation from these relationships came to mind, and that common denominator was myself. The way you portray yourself is how others will look at you and treat you. I know many people who have settled for less, simply because deep inside, they don’t believe they deserve more. That is where we go wrong; we do deserve more, much more.

We spend so much time and effort on people who don’t appreciate our love, and what do we get in return? Left behind. You need to remember that at the end of the day, you do not owe anyone, anything. There comes a moment and time when you realize that enough is enough. Having respect and love for yourself could never make you happier in life. Someone not wanting you should be the beginning of you wanting yourself.

Thank you to all the people who have come into my life. Whether we still talk or have gone our own ways, you have made an impact on me. You have formed me into the person I am today. You have made me get to this point. I’ve learned to love myself and overall, be happy with myself. If you aren’t happy with who you are then you are never going to make someone else happy. If you don’t respect and love yourself first, building a healthy relationship with another is like building a house with no foundation, eventually the cracks and lack of a strong base will cause it to crumble.

Your self-worth is how you look at yourself. When I wake up every day I want to be someone who loves myself. It has taken me multiple years to finally wake up and realize that the most important relationship is the one with myself. I’ve learned to embrace self-love. I’ve stopped apologizing for who I am and have learned that I am the perfect me I can be right at this moment. I will constantly be growing as a person with both the good and bad. I know I have bad habits, flaws and imperfections, but those are all a part of what makes me, me.

Your heart is a precious gift. Respect it and be respected. Love yourself and be loved. Know your value and don’t accept being treated in a way less than you deserve. You deserve to be treated the way you treat others. You are unstoppable after you realize you deserve better.