You Can't Do That In A Dress

You Can't Do That In A Dress

Uh. Yeah, I can.
182

As people, I think that we should be able to wear whatever the hell we want (because who doesn’t want to feel comfortable and confident in their clothes?). Personally, my wardrobe consists of many flowy dresses and skirts because that’s what I feel comfortable in. I even wrote a whole article about why I wear dresses because I like them so much.

I have worn them almost every single day for the past four years, and I like to believe that I can do anything in them that a person can do in pants or shorts. However, people have brought it upon themselves to comment on my choice of clothing more times than I can count. Frankly, I’m sick of the constant questions and comments, so to combat them I’ve compiled a list of questions that I’ve gotten asked and gifs that sum of my reactions.

1. “Are you sure that you don’t want to wear something more comfortable?”

The reason I choose to wear dresses is because I’m comfortable in them. Do you voluntarily wear uncomfortable clothes? I didn’t think so.

2. “Be careful when you bend down. Everyone’s going to see your underwear.”

Fun fact: I wear shorts or spandex under my dresses. Nobody is going to see anything other than fabric that goes down to my thighs. And if they do happen to see my underwear, who cares? My underwear is cute!

3. “Wait, you went swimming in a dress?”

We forgot my swimsuit at the hotel, and we were only spending one day at the beach in California. So, yeah. I swam in my dress.

4. “Aren’t you cold in that dress?”

Kind of? But I’ll just put on a coat and some gloves and be fine.

5. “It’s not ladylike to do [insert any activity here] in a dress.”

Who the hell decides what’s ladylike and what isn’t? As far as I’m concerned, I’m a lady, and I like doing things in dresses.

6. “That dress is kind of short. You may want to put on some tights.”

Nah, I’m good. My legs are long, and I’m going to show them off. Sorry you’re so uncomfortable with my skin.

7. “You can’t play night games at camp wearing a dress!”

OK, so my camp growing up was incredibly sexist and repressive, but I can’t tell you how many counselors and coworkers told me that I shouldn’t wear a dress to play night games.

8. “Wow! I’m really surprised that you did that while wearing a dress!”

Why? I do everything else in a dress. Why would you think that this activity would be any different?

9. “I wanted to that activity, but I was wearing a dress, so I couldn’t.”

Yes, you can! You’re putting the restriction on yourself. If you want to do something while wearing a dress, do it. Stop thinking about what everyone else thinks, and just do it. Don’t you dare miss out on something fun because you’re too caught up in your own restrictions.

10. “Are you OK? Do you need help? Did you get hurt?”

I don’t know what it is about me wearing a dress, but it seems like everyone thinks that I’m this fragile little girl whenever I wear them. Like because I’m wearing something feminine I can’t also be a strong, badass woman. FYI: You can do both.

So, the next time you decide to ask me about my wardrobe choice, just remember that Mulan saved China while wearing a freaking dress.