You Are Not Alone- Maintaining Mental Health in College

When you don't feel strong enough to stand, you can reach out your hand.

47
Her Campus

The transition period going into college, be it in your community or across the country, brings about conflicting emotions no matter who you are. However, adjusting to college when you struggle with maintaining your mental health only makes the process more arduous and alienating. My sophomore year of college is looming on the horizon, and this year, I hope to reverse my experiences from last year pertaining to my mental health to have a more positive and productive year. For anybody who is going off to school in a few weeks, whether you are a frightened freshman or seasoned senior, it is so important to make sure that you are mentally prepared to face any struggles of the upcoming year. While of course everybody’s college experience and mental health experience differs, I hope that this advice is universal enough that it can aid anybody who needs it.

1. Know what sources are available for you.

Personally, my school offered a walk-in clinic, a separate counseling center, and a psychiatrist, all of which I utilized throughout my freshman year. However, if any or all of these options are not available to you, you will still find yourself surrounded by empathetic teachers or clubs on campus that prioritize your mental health. It may take a little bit of external research on your part, but it will be so beneficial for you in the long term. You can even reach out to a therapist, a psychiatrist, or both back at home (if that is feasible for you) so you can get regular checkups whenever you next happen to find yourself home.

2. Stay on top of your physical health.

I understand how taking care of your physical health can fall by the wayside in college. You are surrounded by unhealthy foods in the cafeteria, you may be constantly up late “cramming” for your next exam, and with everything you already have to balance, you may not even think about going to the local gym. However, eating a majority of healthy foods, drinking plenty of water, exercising a few times a week, and regulating a sufficient sleep schedule are all necessary to maintain your physical and mental health. It may initially seem overwhelming to accomplish, but you are not obligated to completely revamp your life overnight. You can gradually incorporate healthy foods in your meals at the dining hall, walk instead of taking the elevator or the bus, and set a specific time to fall asleep, and you will soon become aware of internal and external changes before you know it.

3. Try not to take your negative feelings to heart.

No matter who you are, you will certainly have an adjustment period when it comes to college. Everything that you are currently going through can definitely be overwhelming, and your emotions during this process can all be justified. While whatever you are feeling may be valid, do your best not to let your fears deter you from seeking help. If you are mentally struggling in any way, receiving help does not make you weak. You are so brave- for fighting this as long as you have, first of all- and for taking action against those debilitating thoughts. Of course, if you are unable to get help, that does not detract from your bravery and tenacity in any way.

4. Find an organization system that works for you.

In the weeks leading up to your first day of class, try to find an organization method that works best for you. Investing in a planner (or even creating one of your own on your computer) can aid you in this and minimize the anxiety of forgetting an assignment or important event. Planners also help me to outline my homework, and I always aim to accomplish a small amount of work for each assignment every night instead of procrastinating and letting it all overwhelm me. Maintaining a clean room and work space is also essential because it also eliminates stress from overcrowding and a lack of hygiene, which will ultimately lead to you being more productive. If you happen to have difficulties with this, there are plenty of alternative organization methods such as bullet journaling or whiteboard calendars so you can visually see everything you need to accomplish.

5. Establish a daily routine.

In relation to getting organized, creating a daily routine will help to keep you on track and accomplish what you need to get done. While this method may not work for everyone, having a daily routine helped me keep up with my physical hygiene, my homework, my preparations for class, and other activities without getting too overwhelmed. It also allowed me to prioritize self care some days because I always penciled in time for journaling, poetry writing, seeing friends, and making sure I was physically and mentally assessing all of my needs. However, I also tend to feel anxious if something occurs that makes me deviate from this structured routine. In this case, a type of personalized backup plan is essential if you find yourself in a similar position so you can accommodate for any lost time.

6. Stay connected with others by getting involved.

I personally experienced the difficulties of getting involved at college when you are struggling with your mental health. Although part of me yearned to do volunteering outings and dorm events and more extracurriculars, there were some days when just the thought of getting out of bed seemed exhausting. While I was eager to join everything I possibly could in the beginning of the year, the amalgamation of work I had put off and the overall stressors of school eventually all caught up to me. However, I was capable of devoting myself to worthy activities such as the school choir and service learning, and I undoubtedly would not have the same support system that I do today if I had not done that. Getting involved in extracurriculars will not only distract you from whatever negative emotions and thoughts you may be experiencing, but they will also provide you with lifelong friends and opportunities for the future.

7. Make time to relax.

Whether you struggle with your mental health or not, college is a difficult period. While I mentioned the importance of involvement in the previous point, partaking in too many activities will only serve to burn you out. What worked for me was scheduling in a time where I could relax and rejuvenate my spirits following an arduous week. I preferred to do this every Saturday; to get physical tasks accomplished, I cleaned my room and work space, organized all of my materials for the upcoming week, and prepared my homework schedule for the next week by writing steps I would take to finish each assignment every day. For my mental self care, I would take a walk in the gym or around campus, practice breathing techniques to quell any anxiety, and I would converse with my friends and family back home, spend time with friends in my dorm, or allow myself some time to lie in bed and listening to music. While it is important to keep yourself motivated and energetic when you are struggling with your mental health in school, it is also necessary for you to relax and take care of yourself.

No matter what you are going through, your struggles and your feelings are valid. Good luck with everything to come, and remember that you are not alone!