Yes, I Have Anxiety. No, That's Not A Bad Thing

I want people who may be going through the same things I am going through that it does get better.

183

For about a year now, I have struggled with anxiety.

These past six months, though, have by far held the worst struggles I've faced with my anxiety.

What people don't understand is that people who struggle with anxiety can't just turn it off. It's not like a switch you can turn on or off whenever you don't want it bothering you. If it was that easy, nobody would struggle with it.

It isn't easy to deal with anxiety, and perhaps that's why people who don't struggle with anxiety don't fully know what to do when one of their loved ones is struggling with it. It's hard to know exactly why it was brought on or even what is even bothering us to start with, so we really understand, really, I get it, and I'm sure most others do too.

In fact, a lot of the time, those of us who are struggling with any form of anxiety don't understand why people don't always know what to do or how to help.

When you invite me to go somewhere and I bail last minute, please know it's not because I didn't want to go. I psyched myself up, I truly wanted to go and be there doing whatever fun things we had planned. But the morning of, anxiety took over and I just couldn't do it.

I'm sorry, but it's truly not in my control.

If I don't show up somewhere, I was supposed to be without word, sometimes it might be because I just couldn't get out of bed. You're probably thinking, "Yeah, sure, we all don't want to get out of bed sometimes. Just get up and go."

It's not that easy for people with anxiety.

People with anxiety or depression, since they both go hand in hand, sometimes just can't get out of bed. They are so overcome with the anxiety or the sadness they are feeling that they truly don't want to get up and go out. You may get annoyed, but trust me, nobody hates it more than we do.

My anxiety makes me overthink that one glance or one sentence that seemed a bit off. When that happens, I'll over analyze it for days. I'll do my best to remember everything I did right before that encounter to make sure I never do it again.

Then, right when I think I might've gotten over it, I'll remember it again.

While these have been some of the major things I've struggled with these past few months, I want people who may be going through the same things I am going through that it does get better.

Everyone says it, I know, but take it from me – it really will get better. One day, all those big things that seemed so important will fade away, and you'll realize that in the grand scheme of things, they were pretty small.

Focus on the things that make you happy, and fill your life with those things. Whether it be family, friends, taking photos or for me, writing for Odyssey – whatever it is, please do it.

Keep your mind focused on that. When anxiety pops up again, remember those things that make you happy.

And, please, talk to someone. I'm not saying you have to go to a professional. Just find someone you trust and talk to them whenever you can actually put things into words. I

It'll get it off your chest, I promise. Write it down if you don't want to talk – anything to get it all out because it really will help.

Always remember that you are worth it. Even when it seems like nobody is in your corner, remember there truly are people who want to see you succeed. They want to see you succeed and be happy, I promise you they do.

So, finally, I'll leave you with something that someone very wise once told me. "Hold your head high, breathe the air deeply and stand firmly on the ground beneath your feet. The world is yours and now is the time for living. With all of your being. Live fully."