What Is Happening In Yemen?
News

What Is Happening In Yemen?

A country that's on the verge of the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

28
What Is Happening In Yemen?
https://st3.depositphotos.com/5186195/15226/i/450/depositphotos_152262728-stock-photo-geographic-map-of-yemen-with.jpg

For the past couple of months, the media has been overflowing with stories of a global pandemic, a falling economy, and a cultural revolution. As the new stories flow in, there is one that should have had a light shined on it sooner.

The country of Yemen has been in a state of crisis since the year 2015 when The Second Civil War began. The two factions, Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi-led Yemeni government, and the Houthi armed movement have been at war for the past five years. The main reason for the war started with a failure of political transitioning. In 2011, the longtime standing president Ali Abdullah Saleh was forced to hand over his position to his deputy, Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi, by an Arab Spring that was brought to Yemen to bring stability to the country. The new president Mr.Hadi wasn't able to fulfill his goals and promises in his position. This led to various problems like attacks by jihadists, a movement in the south, corruption, unemployment, and food insecurity.

This was just the beginning of the crisis. In 2014-2015, rebels took over the country's capital, Sanaa. Because of this, Mr.Hadi was forced to flee the country. After many years, in July of 2019, United Arab Emirates (UAE), an ally in Saudi Arabia in the war, announced that they would withdraw their forces from Yemen. This led to fighting governed forces in August.
Most recently, in April of 2020, due to the Covid-19, Saudi Arabia announced a ceasefire, but the Houthis rejected it. Instead, the Houthis demanded the lifting of the sea and air blockades. But all of this affected the citizens of Yemen in the worst way possible.

By March of 2020, the UN verified over seven thousand seven hundred deaths caused mostly by Saudi-led airstrikes. In October of 2019, direct attacks caused more than one hundred thousand fatalities, including twelve thousand deaths. These numbers made 2019 the second most lethal year in the war.

The problem then continues with the insanely large number of children that are being affected by the situation. "Save The Children" estimated around eighty-five thousand children have died between April of 2015 and October of 2018.
Covid-19 has not helped the situation at all. Only half of the country has three thousand five hundred fully functioning medical facilities. Twenty million people do not have access to any form of healthcare. To top it all off, almost eighteen million people do not have enough clean water to access any kind of sanitation. This allows the virus to easily make its way through the country.
This situation isn't being reported enough to the mass media.

The situation has continued to get worse as the years go on. If you wish to donate to help the situation, please use this website or look for a reliable source to donate to:

https://www.savethechildren.org/us/what-we-do/where-we-work/greater-middle-east-eurasia/yemen