9 Reasons Taking A Year Off Was One Of My Life's Best Decisions

I would recommend it to any and everyone.

17

With the announcement of Malia Obama attending Harvard University, I thought back to when I graduated high school in spring of 2010. But it wasn't until fall of 2011 that I started college at Western Washington University. What was I doing between those times? Many things, but ultimately, I was taking the ever-growing, trendy gap year. Along with her Harvard announcement, Malia also revealed she would be taking a gap year. With this prominent figure bringing attention back to gap years, I decided to recount why taking a gap year was one of my life's best decisions. Here are some of my accomplishments and reasons why it was worth it:

1. Was able to read over 40 new books.

It had been my goal to read at least 50 new books, but getting over 40 was nevertheless a good number. Along with those books, I reread "Gone with the Wind" and the "Harry Potter" series.

2. Watched over 50 films I hadn't seen before.

As with the books, I planned to see over 50 new films. While I never got around to "The Matrix" (and still haven't five years later), I watched a plethora of other good movies. "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" has remained a favorite.

3. Getting mono didn't get in the way of classes.

Yeah, I got mono. It was a terrible experience, but at least I didn't have to go to class or worry about catching up with schoolwork. Unfortunately, with work, that was another story, but I'd take that over catching up with classes.

4. I could take my time applying to colleges.

Because I knew I wanted to take a gap year before my senior year of high school, I could effectively concentrate on my classes during that year. It was during my gap year that I took the ACT and applied to different schools. As a result, working on and turning in applications was a fun process.

5. $$$.

Not having to go to school early every morning (and staying until the late afternoon) meant I could concentrate on making money. With college, you have to find a job that will work with your schedule. By working before coming to college, I was able to devote more time to it, and save up. It's because of this reason I wished I had taken another year off.

6. I got a much-needed break.

This was the main reason I took a gap year. Because of my struggles with ADHD, I was burned out by the time I finished high school. I knew if I went to college straight away, I would have put myself into an unnecessarily stressful situation. It may have even caused me to drop out. However, that didn't happen because I set aside the time to take care of myself.

7. I became more excited to attend college.

I was warned that if I didn't go to college right after high school, I would have no desire to attend college. The exact opposite happened: Not only was applying to colleges a fun experience, but I looked forward to my first year. All of my classmates were attending college, and I wanted to have as good a time as they were having.

8. I explored my creativity.

With 13 years of schooling, meaning hours sitting still in classes and hours at home devoted to homework, the creative flame within me almost died out. By taking a gap year, I was able to salvage it and make it glow bright. Working on my writing and experimenting with painting, etc., I became content with my artistic expression.

9. I went to see so many plays.

From classics like "South Pacific" to contemporary marvels such as "Legally Blonde: The Musical," I went to see a number of onstage performances. I'm willing to bet many of you aren't theatre fans, but whether you like to go to concerts or go camping, a gap year is a convenient time to devote to these activities, especially if you utilize number five.

My gap year wasn't perfect and didn't go exactly the way I had planned, but I managed to make it an overall positive experience. I'm tired of hearing people talking about gap years even though they don't know much about it or haven't experienced it for themselves. I can tell you, as someone who has taken a gap year, that not only was it worth it, but I would gladly recommend it for others. Congratulations, Malia, and have fun.