The 10 XXL Freshman Cypher Class Of 2017 Profiles

Discover the lives and careers of these well-known rappers, who have been recognized in the hip hop world.

115
XXLmag.com

This year will mark the 10th class of the XXL Freshman Cypher 2017. The Cypher is well-known for picking rappers who have blown up in the hip hop world. In the past Cyphers, rappers such as Kendrick Lamar, Yelawolf, YG, Joey Bada$$ and more have shown their recognition by spitting their strongest bars. This year's Cypher has been revealed but no freestyle video has been published yet. Here are the profiles of all 10 the recruited freshman candidates:

Kyle Harvey

The Ventura high school alumni, Kyle Harvey, also known as the K.i.D., has been in the game every year. A kid who has been singing since six years old, he has finally made the dream into a reality of becoming a well-known rap artist. He has turned down many offers from different labels in the past years but is now signed with Atlantic Records. His hit single "iSpy" featuring Lil Yachty, has made it to the "Billboard Hot 100". He made his first mixtape in 2010 and released his first album, "Beautiful Loser", in 2013.

Kap G

Born from Atlanta, Georgia, George Ramirez started his career by collaborating with Chief Keef in 2012 with the single "Tatted Like Amigos". He has also collaborated with Young Jeezy in "Jose Got Dem Tacos". This Latino rapper released his single "Like El Chapo" in 2015, which led sign with Atlantic Records. His hit single "Girlfriend" has people bump up their volume enough to make it go viral on the radio.

Kamaiyah

Bay Area rapper Kamaiyah's 90's style of music has made her known to be arguably the next Missy Elliot with her talent of hardcore lyrics. Her career started when she released her single in 2015 with "How does it Feel" and "Out the Bottle". She debuted her first recording album last year with "A Good Night in the Ghetto". The album entails the famous rapper, YG, who has also made his appearance to the freshman class of 2011.

A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie

Known for his trap rap, artist J. Dubose is a Bronx native who came onto the scene two years ago when he chose music as his main priority. Last year was when started to get people's attention as he released his first tracks, which then led him to drop his first mixtape. He later dropped "Bag on Me" featuring Don Q. He then was co-signed with Meek Mill and DJ Khaled. His record label, Highridge, was then replaced by Atlantic Records and released singles such as "Bando" and "My S**t" soon after.

PnB Rock

Philly native, Rakim Allen, became well-known for mixing hip hop and R&B, which has become a famous trend. PnB Rock debuted his mixtape, RNB, in 2014 then released RNB2 in 2015. His two mixtapes caught Atlantic Records' attention. After signing with the label he dropped his first album, GTTM (Goin Thru The Motion), in 2017. The album involved rappers such as Wiz Khalifa and Ty Dolla $ign. With his album being recognized around, it has earned its spot in the top 30 of the Billboard 200 album chart.

Playboi Carti

From the south side of Atlanta, Jordan Carter was motivated to create music as he was inspired after listening to Michael Jackson and Prince and other legendary musicians. He started to make music in his high school days when he was first named Sir Cartier. After graduating, he moved to the Bronx where he met a member of the ASAP Mob. He then later met ASAP Rocky at a show. From there, ASAP Rocky became his mentor. Years after meeting ASAP Rocky, Carter dropped his first mixtape in the spring time, which featured Lil Uzi Vert, ASAP Rocky and Leven Kali.

MadeinTYO

Representing Tokyo, Japan, Malcolm Davis is not just any rapper, but he's known to be a producer. He became recognized when his hit single, "Uber Everywhere", claimed the 51st spot on the Billboard Hot 100. He has only dropped one mixtape but has many more projects to impress.

Amine

From Portland, Oregon, Adam Daniel started rapping right after graduating from high school. After signing with Republic Records, Daniel made his debut label in 2016 when he dropped "Caroline". That same year, the song earned a spot on the Billboard Hot 100.

Ugly God

Born in Indiana, John Bean has moved to many different states in his younger years. After dropping out of the University of Southern Mississippi, he began to create music and was later signed to Asylum. After his record deal, Ugly God's single made it to the Billboard's Spotify Velocity and Spotify Viral 5 charts. Around the time, Bean went on to make his debut record, "The Booty Tape".

XXXTentacion

Jahseh Onfroy has a unique style of rapping as he mixes the genre with punk rock, heavy metal and R&B. Before his music career, Onfroy would often get into trouble with the law by getting involved with violent situations. Because of his behavior, his mother made the choice to live with other people. After being released from the juvenile detention center for armed robbery, he decided to come clean and begin his career in music. After putting his violent crimes behind him, he became successful when his single, "Look at Me", made it to the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 earlier this year. His recognition then led him to sign with Empire Records and later released his mixtape, Revenge.