What Would Dumbledore Do?

What Would Dumbledore Do?

Here lie seven life lessons from the late and great Albus Dumbledore.
85

Through the years of joining Harry, Ron, and Hermione as they showed lil' Tommy Riddle who’s boss, we all learned a whole lot from the man behind the half-moon spectacles, the one and only Albus Dumbledore.

Yet, time has passed, and we're feeling it's just about past due for his magic to come back into our lives. How, you might ask? By simply asking ourselves, 'What Would Dumbledore Do?"

And with a twinkle in his brilliant blue eyes he would respond:

1. Devote yourself to your desires

The man in the beard said it best: “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” This is essentially the British version of Nike’s “just do it,” something that all of us need to hear every once in a while. It’s easy to think and talk about all the things in life we want to do, and it’s even easier to get distracted from actually LIVING. Don’t just imagine the person you want to be; be it! Find your passions, and become them.

2. Benefit from your blunders

In our first years with Harry on our journey at Hogwarts, Dumbledore in my eyes was a God. He always seemed to know exactly what to do and say. But as the years went on, his flaws began to show, and J.K. Rowling shared with children around the world the one secret every parent tries to hide them from their kids: Adults aren't perfect. Everyone has flaws and weaknesses. But what she also told us is that it’s not our flaws that make us good or bad, but how we react in the face of those flaws that determines who we are.

3. Positivity at all points

Get ready to say “alohomora” and unlock the secret of life! Life isn’t all rainbows and butterflies, and it certainly isn’t all pumpkin juice and cauldron cakes either. Everybody has those days. Everybody gets that way. And sometimes Miley Cyrus on a wrecking ball will crash through your life, leaving trails of spiders in her wake. But it’s the giant, ugly, hairy, drooling spiders in our life that we need to be the most thankful for. They teach us our most valuable lessons. Keeping a positive mindset no matter the situation is a hard thing to do, but it is something dear ol' Dumbledore has down pat. Kindness and positivity always triumph, and we can always change our situation. So, when life gives you earwax-flavored Bertie Bott’s Every Flavored Beans, smile and be thankful to know the grass is always greener on the other side (and yes there are grass flavored beans too), and then go wash it down with some pumpkin pasties and butter beer!

4. Rationality over rashness

We’ve all found ourselves in a situation in which we feel like Harry when Voldemort was first getting in his head (TBT to that time Harry wanted to bite Dumbledore in his office ... WTF). It’s as if an outside force of anger has entered your body and begins to boil up like Polyjuice potion after adding the last bit of boomslang skin and lacewing flies. YUM. So what do we do? We react ... and end up regretting every word. But WWDD? Stay calm, cool and collected behind those half-moon spectacles, of course.

"I don't mean to be rude," he [Vernon] began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"Yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely. "Best to say nothing at all, my dear man.”

So, next time you feel like you’re one of those buttons about to burst on Aunt Marge’s blouse, take a deep breath and channel your inner Albus. In the midst of frustration, nothing can hurt the calm and collected. Accept the reality you're faced with, and move on from there. Anger never solved wizards chest after all.

5. Blow off the belittlers

Don’t let other’s judgments ever take away from your own joy. In other words: be yourself! TBH, Dumbledore is pretty darn weird. Example A: “Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!” But all you judgmental purebloods out there can just hold on to your hippogriffs and ixnay on the udgmentjay (excuse my piglatin). Even if you are Nicolas Flamel, life is too short to worry about the people around you judging your buckteeth, potion kit, or homemade sweaters. Don’t run from the things that make you feel like an outsider. Embrace them! Throw off your invisibility cloak, step into the light, and shine bright like a Dumbledore.

6. Hang on to being Humble

Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Order of Merlin-First Class, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, and Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot. Son of a banshee … that sure was a mouthful. But if it weren’t for the collectible chocolate frog cards, we would have never known of Dumbledore’s great successes. It is the people who accomplish greatness, not for the fame, but for the benefit of others, who will always be remembered. As Elphias Doge kindly stated,

"Albus Dumbledore was never proud or vain; he could find something to value in anyone, however apparently insignificant or wretched, and I believe that his early losses endowed him with great humanity and sympathy. I shall miss his friendship more than I can say, but my loss is as nothing compared to the wizarding world's. That he was the most inspiring and the best loved of all Hogwarts headmasters cannot be in question."

If only Gilderoy Lockhart had taken a page out of Dumbledore’s book instead of being too busy plagiarizing his own, maybe he wouldn't be spending the better part of his life in St. Mungo’s Hospital. Just goes to show. Be humble, or lose your mind. Ya heard it here first.

7. Command your inner courage

Accio bravery! And no, you don’t need that felix felicis. Be your own liquid luck! Dumbledore was courageous and bold. He was the only person to stand up to the Ministry of Magic to fight for his beliefs and not let them (Cornelius) fudge it all up. He was the only person who realized that fear a name only increases fear of the thing itself (“VOOLLLDDEEMMORRRTT” ... scream it loud and proud). Don't be a cowardly lion. Be a Gryffindor and let the world hear your ROAR.

Now, if you ever find your muggle life in a bit of a rut, don't be afraid to ask yourself "WWDD?" Dumbledore and the rest of the wizarding world will never truly leave you. After all this time? Always.