Writer's Block Is A Process

Writer's Block is a process, not an obstacle

The one figure of speech that could use a chisel and mallet.

103

Reading this, you may be thinking more or less what it took to write this article. From a writer to a reader, who may also be a writer, I can say that writer's block was never a topic I wanted to discuss. I feared that I would catch the common chronic condition of clueless culling and calling. That alliteration I just used took me some time to think of. "C" is for "cat" and other words that begin with "C," and that is what writer's block does.

Writer's block is not a dead-end destination. It is your mind being super conscious or hyper aware of the act of writing. A writer knows what is asked of him but how does he answer? Is it profound patience or is it idle waiting that is synonymous with thinking? Will hitting your head against a wall be more productive than sitting down into a numb, staring status? To write is a compound verb that varies, changes, and adapts in its actions.

I don't always worry that I'll have nothing to say or think of. Thinking is like wearing your favorite pair of pants then learning that they no longer fit you. By thinking you tend to second-guess or change your mind too quickly during the process of writing. Or out of comfort, the idea of not writing and thinking more instead is a better alternative.

A gold mine of thoughts will see you through but the real gold rush comes from feeling. You know what you want to say but how you say it is akin to how you feel about it. Would a character say this and, if he would, does it convey how he feels? Emotions do the thinking for you, give you visual metaphors where you wouldn't think an emotion could be seen.

Look for the metaphors. The figures of speech are your muses. The writer's intent is to reverse the rotation of the Earth, to see the world differently so that he can leave it changed or aware of its own motion. Let writing move you. Pick up the writer's block and move it with you. Do step ups on it with books as your dumbbells in each hand. Break it down, don't break down. Use your creative outlets; music, podcasts, movies, books, interviews, comedians, anything that drives you to write.

One day, if you do find that block to be too heavy or too high to step up with, write all over its four sides. Carve tattoo thoughts into it, even if it's silly or bad. You can always remove a tattoo. You can always edit. Editing is writing after hours when you can make sense of the nonsense. If you don't feel like writing, do another tangible task.

Work should be your play. Free your mind of routine for awhile, and when you're not busy thinking, new thoughts will arrive and seek a place on the page for later. Inspiration strikes when you're focused, be it focused on the page itself or the walk or drive you took to get away without really getting away. Potential is there and finding it comes when, and sometimes where, you least expect it.

Writer's block is a process disguised as an obstacle. Fear, disappointment, anger, expectation, any reasonable excuse is not reasonable enough for your aspiration. Don't be your own obstacle, don't become the things and the people that are your obstacles. Right now, write now.

The only way you know what's worth writing is by writing anything, anything at all.