13 Girlfriends Confess The Worst Holiday Gifts They Got From Their Boyfriend

I wouldn't mind some balloons and flowers but to each their own.

59
https://unsplash.com/search/photos/girlfriend-christmas-gift

Oh, Christmas. It's said to be one of the most wonderful times of the year. Happiness is in the air, families are celebrating, and presents are being given. Presents are one of the few things that can bring anxiety into this time of year, especially when you are spending it with an S.O. Gifting is a struggle and when it comes to buying for your love it can be very stressful. You want them to love it...but then it's your turn and you see they got you a ring made out of wood that is huge and ugly (real story from a friend). Sounds terrible, right? Well, it is and these girlfriends are ready to confess all.

Without further ado, here are 13 girlfriends confessing the worst holiday gift they got from their boyfriend.

1. The underwhelming present

"A card that said "Merry Christmas" with no other words on the inside. He literally bought a fill-in card and didn't fill it in. I couldn't even tell you where the card was. It didn't bother me that much, I love getting cards... when they have something written in them..." - Chris, age 21

2. The present that showed they didn't know you at all

"Bath and Body Work's Moisturizer. I only use all-natural products, so he obviously had no clue about who I am as a being or just didn't care. We had a horrible relationship and I don't care about gifts, but I would appreciate a more me-oriented gift. I would've loved a collage or even just a printed picture of us, I brought it up and he said he would change... he never did." - Jen, age 19

3. The copy-cat gifter

"My boyfriend at the time surprised me with a gorgeous necklace that I instantly fell in love with. Considering we were in high school, he did amazing! Flash forward three months to prom, where we are getting pictures with his best friend and his girlfriend. And the girlfriend has on the same exact necklace that I proudly wore... apparently our boyfriends went shopping together and bought the same gift to avoid having to put effort into the holiday. He swears that he was the one who picked out the necklace and his friend copied, but I remember being so upset with him for the lack of originality. We laugh about it now, and I make fun of him all the time for it. I was angry at the time, but it was a petty high school fight. I did keep the necklace and it's actually hanging on my rear view mirror 10 years and three cars later." - Amanda, age 16

4. The guy who just grabbed anything

"A Birthday card."- Anonymous, age 24

5. The guy who had no taste

"This hideous bracelet from the jewelry section in Walmart. The bracelet was silver, gold, black & white. It looked like something an 80-year-old woman would wear. I acted like I liked it. I Snapchatted him one picture of it on my wrist, so he would think I wore it out somewhere. Actually, I wore the bracelet by myself in my car when I took it so nobody else had to see it. I still have it, but it's in the glove compartment in my car so nobody can see it." - Julie, age 20

6. The one where it missed the mark

"A stuffed animal...in general, it not bad but for me personally that's not something I'd want at all."- Anonymous

7. The one who didn't think outside of the box

"A gift card to the restaurant I worked at. Really!? Like I wouldn't want to eat somewhere else/fancier? Someplace I didn't talk about how dirty the kitchen was? He was dumped shortly afterward." - __dilligaf__

8. The one who didn't even try

"It so happens that recently, my birthday, Christmas and our first anniversary were within a few weeks. I got him a big, fairly expensive (not awful) present that I spent a ton of time and effort on, including lugging it home from college, and a smaller sweet present ("book of memories" kinda thing).

His idea was to tell me way beforehand that he was taking me to eat for my birthday (fine, that's awesome) at a place of my choosing and that I would call the shots the whole day.

It was the least thoughtful present he could have given me. He made me choose my own present after all the time we had talked about me feeling like he put no effort in. He didn't even TRY to surprise me, to make it feel better—it would have been awesome if he even said 'I'm taking you here,' but he spent absolutely the least amount of time on it that he could have." - babelincoln27

9. The guy who didn't know... anything

"A bracelet that he told me he got from a thrift store. It had an old thick worn guitar hanging from it and one of them had a bejeweled 'K' on it... and my name doesn't even start with a 'K'... nothing in my life can be associated with a 'K'...

So yeah that was weird." - pandagirlll

10. The piece of shit

"Once had someone give me a super ugly monkey statue that they picked out while flea marketing with the person they were cheating on me with." - DamnitLori

11. The guy who couldn't take a freaking hint

"Despite my hatred of roses, my ex insisted on giving me roses for Every. Single. Event. My birthday, graduation, Christmas, Valentine's Day, etc. I always thanked him and tried to kindly remind him that I hate roses, but the more he gave them to me the more pissed off I got. I even threatened to start lighting them on fire and he STILL gave them to me. To me, it just said he couldn't listen to me." - anennil1

12. The gift that was functional

"A freaking hair dryer, for this past Christmas... and it was the only gift. I had been looking for a certain one that was really nice and did tell him. He couldn't afford it, which isn't a big deal because hey, I would have saved the money myself... but instead he got me this mega cheap one that doesn't even do the only thing it is supposed to... dry hair. So it just sits in the bathroom now because I can't throw it away..." - leesa725

13. The gift that wasn't half bad and maybe kinda cute

"I had a fuck buddy one time fill my entire apartment with balloons for my birthday. Two years later I'm still picking up popped balloon pieces."- CocaineAndMojitos

Some responses have been edited for length or clarity.

To be honest, I think some of these are kinda cute and sweet. I wouldn't mind some balloons and flowers but to each their own.