How The Dodgers And Red Sox Prepared For Their World Series Rematch 102 Years Later

A century and two years later, the Los Angeles and Boston clash in a rematch of the 1916 Fall Classic

99

In 1916 African-Americans were segregated, women couldn't vote, and the United States was on the verge of entering one of the ugliest wars in human history.

Also in 1916, was the 14th annual World Series (named the World Series despite not Major League Baseball not having a team outside of America until the 1960s) between the Boston Red Sox and Brooklyn Robins. Formerly called the Americans, the Red Sox won the first World Series and we're going for their third championship in five years. The Robins, named after their Hall of Fame manager Wilbert Robinson, won their first National League pennant that year in their relatively new ballpark named after owner Charles Ebbets.

The series itself was an anti-climatic 4-1 victory for Boston, including a remarkable 14-inning performance in Game 2 by the Red Sox's 21-year-old pitcher George Herman Ruth, nicknamed Babe.

Little did these two ball clubs know that they were going to face-off in the World Series again 102 years later, having evolved into the second and third most recognizable baseball teams in the world.

The Red Sox would win another World Series in 1918 and traded Ruth to the New York Yankees for $100,000.00 after he broke the single-season home run record with 29 in the 1919 season. They would have to wait 86 years for another championship.

Along the way, Boston brought on a young left-fielder in 1939 who happened to be the greatest hitter who ever lived named Ted Williams. While he might not have been the best with the media, Teddy Ballgame made the Red Sox relevant for two decades with incredible hitting including batting the last .400 season with .406 in 1941.

While they couldn't win a World Series with Teddy they did replace him well with another scrappy left-fielder named Carl Yastrzemski, also known as Yaz. The Red Sox became Boston's lone ballclub after the Braves moved to Milwaukee. It wasn't until 1967 however, when the Red Sox became Boston's true team again when Yaz put up one of the greatest seasons of all-time, winning the triple crown and leading his team to the American League pennant.

Yaz served 24 seasons as a Red Sox but the grizzled vet got some help in the 1970s with guys like Jim Rice, Dwight Evans, Fred Lynn and Carlton Fisk and the Sox won another pennant in 1975. Unfortunately, none of those trips to the World Series led to a championship for Boston but perhaps the most heart-wrenching loss of all was a 1978 tie-breaker game for the AL East title to the Yankees thanks to a home run by Bucky BLEEPIN Dent.

Was Dent the worst for Red Sox fans?

Absolutely not.

How about 1986?

*Hears indescribable screams from Bostonians in the distance"

Ok, we won't talk 1986.

How about Clemens? Boggs? Nomar?

Oh I know, Pedro. Manny. Millar. Tito. Big Papi.

"Boys you stole my heart the way Dave Roberts stole second base."

The Sox almost got past the Yanks in 2003 but we'll skip to 2004 when they, ya know, pulled off the most epic comeback in the history of sports.

The Curse of the Bambino went out in spectacular fashion with Boston's first championship since 1918 in 2004.

Oh look, Dustin, Lester, Papelbon, another ring in 2007!

Oh and look at this! Boston Strong World Champions again in 2013!

Now they got Mookie, J.D. and Sale leading Sox to their greatest regular season in franchise history and to the World Series again.

And now for their opponent's story: The Robins would rename themselves into the Dodgers honoring the Brooklyn residents who routinely "Dodged" trolleys. They quickly slid down in the 1920s and 30s and became known as "Dem Bums". Despite reaching a World Series in 1941, Dem Bums needed some help throughout the 40s, and hired a revolutionary former general manager of the St. Louis Cardinals named Branch Rickey. Some of the players brought on for the glory years of the 40s and 50s included Campy, The Duke, Pee Wee, and a former UCLA athlete, army officer and star of the Kansa City Monarchs named Jackie Roosevelt Robinson. Robinson happened to become the player who broke baseball's color barrier in 1947 and is the only player in baseball to have his number retired by all 30 teams of Major League Baseball.

Despite winning four National League titles from 1947 to 1953, (they shoulda won in 1951 but local Brooklyn residents still don't wanna talk about 1951 and Bobby BLEEPIN Thomson) Brooklyn could never beat those damn Yankees (see a similarity) until finally in 1955 when Johnny Podres pitched a 2-0 shut-out in Game 7 at Yankee Stadium to finally make Dem Bums Champions.

But little did Brooklyn know that despite finally being champions, the city suffered the ultimate heartbreak just after the 1957 season with the unfathomable moving of the team to Los Angeles thanks to the likes of owner Walter O'Malley and infamous New York architect Robert Moses. Some Americans wonder when the country's innocence was lost, the Dodgers moving from Brooklyn to L.A. makes a compelling argument.

So the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers are now the Los Angeles Dodgers. But look, here are some pitchers like Don Sutton and Don Drysdale and this Jewish guy from back in the Brooklyn days named Sandy Koufax. Koufax only goes on to have the MOST DOMINANT six-year stretch in the history of pitching from 1961 to 1966, all of which lead to his abrupt retirement at the age of 30.

So Los Angeles went away for a while, but look, here's this former player turned manager named Tommy Lasorda, he leads them to some more World Series in the 1970s but can't get past those Yankees again. But it all comes together in 1981 with Dusty, Garvey, and Fernando-Nation. Rip out the heart of Montreal with Blue Monday and overcome a 2-0 deficit to beat New York in the World Series.

7 years later they got Orel Hershiser and this Detroit player named Kirk Gibson. Gibson won the NL MVP but injured his leg after an epic 7 game victory over the Mets in the National League Championship Series. He'll be no use to them in the World Series against the Oakland Athletics- oh wait and look who's coming up. Gibson's about to bat against Dennis Eckersley and -HIGH FLY BALL INTO RIGHT FIELD SHE IS...GONE! And so the Dodgers go onto win their 6th World Series title in 1988 but haven't won one thirty years later.

With redemption on their minds, Kershaw, Machado, Bellinger and Puig look to finally get their rings in their sixth consecutive post-season appearance.

The only team in their way is the same one that denied them 102 years ago.

Let the rematch begin!